Tempered glass bowed (pretty urgent)

Hi,

I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's piece "not bad".

You can kind of see it on the picture here:

I'll try to take a better picture.

Is the quality that I am getting reasonable, or should I make an issue out of this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Aaron Fude

make a big issue of this

Reply to
daszkiew2000

A Bad photo, cant see anything. But you are paying for a shower to seal not to leak water.

Reply to
ransley

depends upon the tempering machine. some types always produce a bowed sheet. others don't.

tell them to try again. that's too much for a professional installation.

regards, charlie

charlie

Aaron Fude wrote in news:5de48969-1b50-4030-ab82- snipped-for-privacy@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

I'm not familiar with frameless shower glass at all but Googling just a few comments I'm seeing like $2500 and am sure it can go a lot higher for more luxury. For this kind of pricing I'd say it looks like shit and if they are truly all like that then it's a shit product for the bucks.

Won't water come out of that gap? They must caulk it huh? That gap filled with caulk will look like shit. (note no "?" on last sentence)

Possible comment to the installer:

"So since tempered glass always bows, if I go to your showroom all the tempered glass showers should be bowed like it".

Reply to
Red Green

| > I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower | > glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the | > bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's | > piece "not bad".

| > I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that | > that's piece "not bad".

| Won't water come out of that gap? They must caulk it huh? That gap filled | with caulk will look like shit. (note no "?" on last sentence) | | Possible comment to the installer: | | "So since tempered glass always bows, if I go to your showroom all the | tempered glass showers should be bowed like it".

...and don't forget... "If you finish the installation and I don't like the bow in the glass, you will come back and replace the whole installation, on your own dime of course!"

Reply to
Calab

On Thu 17 Jul 2008 10:46:36a, Aaron Fude told us...

You have a high end shower with heavy tempered glass. There should *never* be a gap like that in such an installation. As far as I'm concerned, this poor workmanship is totally unacceptable, you damned right I'd make an issue of it.

I have had two custom showers and have seen many others, and I have never seen a gap where the edges of the glass panels meet. Doesn't matter if it's a 90° angle or some other angle. A friend of mine has a hexagonal mitered glass shower and there are no gaps.

You are being handed a line of crap by people who don't know what they're doing.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

"Calab" wrote in news:SGUfk.10752$nD.6894@pd7urf1no:

That doesn't make sense (how it was explained to you.) I think they're trying to pull a fast one.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

Yes, you should complain!

I'm sure you paid out the ass for that install, and it should be to your satisfaction.

Back to the point, yes, flat tempered glass does have a bow to it. It's usually not that big of a deal because it is usually framed, but in your case, that is unacceptable. (From the picture it looks like at least an inch gap?) There should be a 1/4" to 3/8" caulked gap at the most on a good install.

The glass company that you used will bitch at the glass tempering company that they use, and I'm sure you can get some quality glass installed. Providing that the company that is doing the tempering, is capable of it.

Reply to
Ron