Subject Author Posted Replies

uneven slabs for shed base
my cousin built me a shed base of slabs for an 8x6 shed, we were building o n a slope its quite uneven the slabs are sloping,ive got 8 breeze blocks,iv e got 3 on each side 2 in the middle ive not...

OT Renewables UK
Renewable enrgy in the UK Renewables now supply one fifth of energy – up 43 per cent in a single year
5
5

AGW
There's a surprise.
1
1

heating - mixing MDPE and copper
Is it ok to mix MDPE and copper on a central heating installation? I'd like to use copper everywhere but some locations are a right pig to get at. I'm (or rather SWMBO) is thinking of putting a curved...
6
6

Damp on bathroom wall
We have damp on our bathroom wall which we only discovered when we removed wallpaper, re-plastered and redecorated. Our first thought was that we hadn't let the plaster dry for long enough or that the...
6
6

HW Cylinder over-temperature resettable thermostat
The immersion heater on our HW cylinder is the old-fashioned sort, without an over-temperature safety cut-out. It's not practical to replace the immersion with a modern type, because the plumber who...
17
17

Lawn Tractor manuals?
We've charity locally that has recently moved into some ex-farm buildings, does 'Arts' stuff, and has workshops for musical instrument makers/repairers. There is some grass(about an acre or so) I...
4
4

Smell from hot water boiler
We have a hot water boiler at Church which is used about twice a week for tea/coffee. When we turn it on we get a "fishy" smell emanating from it. We used to leave the boiler full but from time to...
10
10

Feed-in Tariff for wood pellet burner?
Our local paper has a half-page advert for a company supplying stoves that use wood pellets, aka a Biomass Stove. My brother in Germany installed one of these a few years ago, and loves it. This...
3
3

Question for electricians
Hi there, sparkses, I have a 2.2kw phase converter which outputs 230v AC 3 phase from a standard single phase mains supply. This converter is currently powering my 3HP lathe. But I've just bought a...
23
23

Bonding steel to steel
At long last I've found a tuit to start putting a new top on a bench (I was looking for a round tuit and the bench is sqauare - no chance!). It's 2' square, made of 2"x2"x¼" angle iron. The old...
19
19

Modulating thermostat for electric heater???
Does such a thing exist, I am making a chick brooder, the heating will be a 25 watt heat plate above the nest, But as i will be brooding song thrush and blackbird chicks (from my aviary) i need pretty...
17
17

Plastic to metal adhesive
I need to stick a 2M length of plastic coated MDF scotia to an aluminium step edge. Anyone care to recommend an adhesive that's going to last. The ones I have seem to need porous surfaces...
9
9

Boiler & green deal etc
Friend has finally decided to concede a little to the 20th century and get gas CH. He's never had heating as far as I can tell. There's also no CWI in the cavities, but he does have good loft...
16
16

Modern Washing Machines
After 8 years our washing machine (HotPoint) needed replacing. Now, we have a large household (grand-parents, kids, us), and the machine gets used a LOT, probably 2-3 washes a day, and 5-6 Sat/SUn. My...
69
69