Installing second set of lights from first set?

I'm installing a second set of celiling lights using a spur off the original set.

Is there a way of installing a dimmer switch to control only one set of lights?

I've been told that there is but I can't work out how: there's only presently one light switch for the one set of lights. If I install a second set of lights on a spur of the original set of lights, how could I control both sets of lights independently by just installing a dual wall switch?

Reply to
Gaz

You'll need to run a second cable from either the old or new lights to the switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whatever you do, don't use the CPC of the existing cable as the 2nd switch wire. ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

But what is the harm. Anyway, yes he has to have a lead to be able to switch the other set. That is unless he wants to do it by radio. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A lot depends on how the first set is wired. You'll need to run a neutral and ground from the first set to the second set, which should be fairly simple. Both will be present on all of the ceiling roses. You'll also need to run an unswitched live to a new switch and then on to the second set. Where you get that from will depend on the current wiring. If you're lucky, there'll be a permanent live on one (or all) of the ceiling roses. Otherwise, you'll have to run it from the feed side of the current switch. [You might choose to do that anyway, if the new switch is going to be near to the existing one.]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Spoilsport!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes, but you will need extra wires...

Have a look at the common ways of wiring lighting circuits and see if you can work out what you have. Once we know that we can give more precise advice:

John Rumm