Boiler troubles

Just because I thought I'd have a clear weekend for doing something useful, one of my boilers went phut. I've localised it to the PCB and will source one. Apparently this is very common on this model (Ideal Icos HE24) as the power supply has a tendency to go. Although the odds are clearly in favour of the power supply, in my researches on t'interweb, I see some general chatter to the effect that other components can cause a PCB failure. Of course this would mean a new unit would blow right away. So, while awaiting a replacement part, should I be checking all the other components and, more importantly, how? (ie am I looking for simple shorts or something more subtle?)

Cheers

Reply to
GMM

Have a word with Geoff at CET

A walking compendium of every known boiler fault since the Ark and supplier of replacement fans and PCB's at sensible prices.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I would suggest getting an exchange board from Geoff @ CET Ltd - he used to be a frequent poster on here, and he may well be able to tell you what else to check before fitting the new board.

Andrew Gabriel

Thanks Peter - that was absolutely the right answer. Although his prices are a little higher than some options, he clearly knows his stuff. In case anyone finds this thread and is wondering: The only check is to make sure the fan is spinning freely as that can be the root cause of a blown pcb.

Reply to
GMM

Seconded:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Just to round this off, in case anyone looks in the future. CET delivered promptly, but I couldn't get the board to work. Geoff readily sent me another. This still didn't work, but the problem turned out to be the jumper settings, as there are differences betwen different iterations of the 'same' PCB and I was transferring the settings from the original. Great service from Geoff and I will definitely use them again, when I have to. Judging by what people say about this model of boiler, that won't be very long.....

Reply to
GMM