Ideal boiler repair

My Ideal Isar has been a nightmare, having it's PCB replaced *six* times during the warranty period. I should have signed up for more cover of course but I felt that if it went again I would throw it out the bathroom window onto the concrete driveway below, then go out and buy a more reliable boiler...
Now I've had a nice new driveway installed, I don't want to dent it. The f***ing thing has failed again and I need a new pcb (it has to be that, there's no other electronics in the thing). Ideal want 170 to visit (and hopefully fix it) - I can easily change the PCB myself but who keeps them in stock (apart from Ideal themselves)? Or am I destined to pay the 170?
Mike.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Well I recon boiler pcbs, but have not built a test set for the Isar yet
... www.keeptheheat ??
--
geoff

My Ideal Isar has been a nightmare, having it's PCB replaced *six* times during the warranty period. I should have signed up for more cover of course but I felt that if it went again I would throw it out the bathroom window onto the concrete driveway below, then go out and buy a more reliable boiler...
Now I've had a nice new driveway installed, I don't want to dent it. The f***ing thing has failed again and I need a new pcb (it has to be that, there's no other electronics in the thing). Ideal want 170 to visit (and hopefully fix it) - I can easily change the PCB myself but who keeps them in stock (apart from Ideal themselves)? Or am I destined to pay the 170?
Cue Geoff (Raden) from CET............................................
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:52:03 +0000 (UTC), "John"

He was here half an hour ago John. ;-)
--

SJW
My Ideal Isar has been a nightmare, having it's PCB replaced *six* times during the warranty period. I should have signed up for more cover of course but I felt that if it went again I would throw it out the bathroom window onto the concrete driveway below, then go out and buy a more reliable boiler...
Now I've had a nice new driveway installed, I don't want to dent it. The f***ing thing has failed again and I need a new pcb (it has to be that, there's no other electronics in the thing). Ideal want 170 to visit (and hopefully fix it) - I can easily change the PCB myself but who keeps them in stock (apart from Ideal themselves)? Or am I destined to pay the 170?
Mike.
Get in touch with them. Send a letter to the MD. There is something radically wrong with this boiler for this to happen. Is it spikes from the power supply? If so they should have noticed after six pcb changes. The engineers are irresponsible, as they should have brought this boiler to the attention of the technical people at Ideal. Ideal engineers are generally crap in my experience of them.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

I would put it to them that the replaced pcb should itself have a 12 month warranty period
Also remind them that the goods should be fit for the purpose. There have been several threads in the past concerning white goods which should last a certain number of years irrespective of the manufacturers warranty
That said, I have dozens of ICOS / ISAR pcbs waiting for me to get a test set sorted to repair them. They are really crap
--
geoff

writes

The pcb's or the boiler in general?
writes

The PCBs or rather modules since they're contained in a plastic box
rarely pointed out in their advertising spiel, for some reason
--
geoff

I should have added that the boiler has worked ok for about a year after the two years of problems, so it's unlikely that Ideal will replace it now.

Any chance you have a worker in that pile of pcbs? I looked on www.keeptheheaton.com but they don't seem to stock them...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Quite possibly, but without being able to detect the flame (which for some reason, I seem to be having a problem), it's impossible to tell.
Given this uncharacteristically mild weather, I might be able to sort this out sooner rather than later
--
geoff

I tried to be sneaky and called Ideal claiming to be a Corgi registered installer - Made no difference. Buggers still won't repair a pcb or send a new one, only send their engineer (at an unspecified time) to replace it while I'm not at home.
MJT Controls seem to sell them... for about 150 :-(
I took a good look at the pcb, checked there was mains going in to the transformer, measured a few diodes and transistors etc. but my eyesight is not up to dealing with surface mount stuff these days - Give me a power driver board from a pinball machine any day!
What do you recommend Geoff?
raden wrote:

them...

Assuming both your eyes are nearly the same, get a pair of powerful ready made reading specs from Boots etc just for this sort of thing. Much more useful than a magnifying glass. I've found +5 added your normal distance prescription about right.
--
*Too many clicks spoil the browse *

But what are you expecting to see?
While big power components have the potential to go out spectacularly, those carrying signals are much better at dying in a more discrete manner
--
geoff

I'm not expecting to 'see' anything. Just passing on a tip to those who find it difficult to see such things through advancing years.

But if checking voltages, etc, it helps to see where you're probing?
--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

Aha, Alles Klar
I was more thinking about a visual inspection to look for damaged components. However ... trying to fault find with the pcb in place, attached to a loom with the boiler up and running, (this particular pcb is inside a plastic case and the display / controls pcb is attached to it), really isn't something which I would like to attempt. You can't really test it any other way without a test rig
--
geoff

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Please don't top post
I have just had 20 of them come in from a customer. My hand might be forced into sorting out this flame sensing problem in the coming week.

--
geoff

raden wrote:

Isn't it part of the consumer laws (or something) that if something is repaired or replaced under warranty, then the repair or replacement is only valid for the duration of the origonal warranty? So if I buy a widget with a standard 12-month warranty, and it fails after 360 days and I get it replaced, then I don't expect to get a further 12-month warranty out of it?
Different matter for a paid-for repair or replacement undertaken out of warranty.
David
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:23:50 GMT, Lobster

Nope. Warrranties are there as a convenience for the manufacturer and/or retailer only. Consumer law is based more on reasonableness. So if something has a warranty of a year, and could reasonably be expected to last longer, then you could pursue the issue in the court. If the product is a high end one, then it is more reasonable that it should last longer than a cheap one.
Really all that a warranty achieves is a simple set of rules for suppliers to use. Of course they also know that most consumers think that that's it - a year is up and that's your lot. It may not be.
Warranties are used as a marketing tool as well where the supplier thinks that it can be used to make an inferior product more attractive (e.g. cheap power tools), or by a high end manufacturer to put some space between them and their competition at low cost if they designed and manufactured the product right.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Might be worth writing to the MD then, you reckon? I'll give it a go.
Meanwhile it's bloody cold today... :-(
Andy Hall wrote:

12
is
is
days
of
reasonableness.
court.
attractive

Well, as someone who has confidence in what I send out, if something fails within 12 months, the replacement has a further 12 months warranty on it.
I suppose Ideal are more interested in profit than quality and service ... just like Potterton
--
geoff