Subject Author Posted Replies

Plastic to metal adhesive
I need to stick a 2M length of plastic coated MDF scotia to an aluminium step edge. Anyone care to recommend an adhesive that's going to last. The ones I have seem to need porous surfaces...
9
9

Boiler & green deal etc
Friend has finally decided to concede a little to the 20th century and get gas CH. He's never had heating as far as I can tell. There's also no CWI in the cavities, but he does have good loft...
16
16

Modern Washing Machines
After 8 years our washing machine (HotPoint) needed replacing. Now, we have a large household (grand-parents, kids, us), and the machine gets used a LOT, probably 2-3 washes a day, and 5-6 Sat/SUn. My...
69
69

Raised toilet pedestal - wood to plastic
My mum has arthritis of the knees, so when we bought our house and did it up, one of the things we did was to raise toilets about 2 inches by building them on a simple plywood (layered) pedestal. The...
15
15

how high to pile a skip
I have a 8 yard (cubic) skip with a door. We are sorting out the patio whic h was built too high years ago. We barrowed the soil type waste into the sk ip, then shut the door and piled up with broken...
8
8

O/T - Chainsaw Health & Safety (Swedish style)
Thought the following advert for an insect repellent would brighten your day and trigger a few 'Ouch' responses:- If you liked that one, then you may like these as well:- Sorry it's a bit O/T but I...
2
2

Paging ARW
Have you not had an apprentices recently? I enjoy reading about their intrepid goings on! Or have I missed your posts?
3
3

TOT watches
I was looking at some (analogue) watches today. On around 90% of them I found it very difficult to actually tell the time despite them being in a well lit display. White hands on white backgrounds...
23
23

Earlex Filters
Time has come a round for some new filters for the Earlex WD1000 wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's one of these: but they don't seem to make it any more. Anyway, has anyone experience of the various foam...
7
7

TotalCare, again.
So, having been told by some drooler on BT Sales that TotalCare wasn't available for residential lines, I ranted about it on Twitter (*). Surprise, surprise, someone from BT just called, within the...
3
3

Strange floor tiles
Having removed a brick fire place with a brick hearth, I found under the he arth a number of white tiles, which are 9x9" in size, very thin, and extrem ely brittle. Is there a possibility that these...
5
5

Possible combi boiler fault ..
This has happened twice now ... Boiler is a Vaillant TurboMax. Symptoms are that when hot water is running (like last night when I was showering) and there's a pressure drop (when SWMBO uses the...

burglar alarm tripping on power cut
Just bought a house with Eurosec CP8L LCD burglar alarm system, new built i n 2003 along with a handful of matching ones down the road. Whenever there is a power cut, most of the alarms go off...
29
29

Help with LED lights (currently have halogen)
I am somewhat confused by these LEDs, I am currently running inherited halogen lights in this house and would like to convert to LED if it makes economical sense. The problem is I get more confused...
14
14

Wickes Summer Vouchers FYI
Went into Wickes today & spent £40, they gave me 2 'Summer Vouchers', one for £10 off if you spent over £50 and one for £20 off if you spend £100. Could save a few quid if you have a project...