Eclipsed:(

Well that was a non event, hardly got dark even and what's more the birds were flying around and still chirping away, not a patch on 1999 anyone remember that?, not spectacular but very noticeable.

Course here in mid Anglia totally overcast as was expected;(..

And not a blip on the power grid, harry must be feeling very miserable now we know he wanted a blackout to happen;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

It was more noticeable that it got lighter afterwards than that it got darker before. It did get colder as the eclipse progressed though.

Local radio reported that the seagulls went quiet on the sea front. That is unusual.

The 1999 eclipse was very spectacular in France, where we had driven to see it.

Reply to
Nightjar

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:15:21 +0000, Nightjar The 1999 eclipse was very spectacular in France, where we had driven to

We caught it in a cornfield in Northern France - very, very impressive.

With the good luck to have a blue sky, and a little bit of preparation (a colander and something light coloured to use as a projection screen), this morning was pretty damn good, too. Having a welding facemask to hand was the icing on the cake.

Reply to
Adrian

I disagree. I was very impressed.

Reply to
Huge

Sun was lost behind clouds here. I measured the light level and it dropped from 2900 lux an hour before, to a minimum of 680 lux, before climbing back again.

That's a 77% reduction. In theory, I'm on the 87% line, but even without the eclipse, it would be darker at the time I started measuring.

As mentioned in the other eclipse thread, I was on Alderney for that one, where we had totality.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I saw the 1999 total eclipse from a town in Middlesex.

Reply to
Bod

Got decidedly dim up here but with 8/8ths cloud we where under a hemispherical diffuser and the sky was the same brightness in all directions.

Be interesting to see what the timelapse camera has made of it. I upped the frame rate to 6/minute (from 2) but left it on "auto exposure" so that may have evened it all out...

The birds haven't really returned yet, the Blackbird has been sing from the top of a tree for the last few mornings, saw a Plover yesterday and heard a Curlew, spotted the wagtails and one of the finchy things just this morning.

Aye but it was clear so the only real source of light was direct from the sun not the entire sky.

Wouldn't expect there to be a blip, we simply don't have much Solar PV. Having said that there is a spike in Pumped to 2 GW between 0900 and 1000. There isn't normally a spike at that time of that size.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes - I did not even notice. I thought an 85% one would be a bit darker

- guess the eyes are just really good at adpating.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The temperature drop is obvious though.

Reply to
Clive George

No you did not! You saw another partial eclipse.

I took the family to Truro, we slept in the car, and watched the total eclipse from our picnic blanket on a playing field. It was cloudy up to and during totality but what was impressive was the rapid fall in light level for the last few seconds until totality, like a light dimmer had been turned down to zero. The wildlife especially the birds freaked out and presumably flew to their nests. I heard an owl hoot The street lights all came on As we were on high ground, you could see in one direction in the distance it was still light then the sky was light all the way round and it was just us in the dark as the "umbra" passed us.

A few minutes after totality there was a small gap in the clouds and I could at least take some pictures with the binocular projection lash-up on a tripod.

Wife and kids all thought it was worthwhile.

Reply to
Graham.

The experience would have been even better without the drone of the RAF Hercules engines overhead.

Reply to
Graham.

In 1999 an expert said that if it was cloudy it was posible the temprature drop will create some holes at the last minute.

In Truro it was, and it did, albeit a few minutes after totality, but at least I got some pictures.

Reply to
Graham.

TBF, he did see a total eclipse. He just didn't see it from somewhere that it was actually visible as a total eclipse.

Today's eclipse was a total eclipse - just not anywhere on mainland GB.

Reply to
Adrian

It got dark enough here for the cars to put their lights on. That was before the actual peak of the eclipse, when we had black cloud. It certainly confused the chickens and crows.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Here, there were bright clouds in the far distance.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I do, as I still had enough sight to see the many little semi eclipse pictures on the pavement under the tree. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I KNOW what I saw. Here is where the total eclipse occured in the UK. Look at the red line.

Bod

Perhaps then there is another Middlesex at the tip of the Lizard peninsula.

The UK is little more than a dot on your map, here is the line on a bigger scale.

Graham.

Well we had clear sky here in the west country. Not much to write home about.

1999 I drove down to the Lizard point in Cornwall. We had almost full cloud cover but it did indeed peep through on occasions. The rapidly moving dark shadow across the fields was a sight to behold.

:)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

No, you don't. Not if you thought you saw totality from Middx.

And here's the actual map.

The red line of totality doesn't go anywhere near Middx. But the orange

90% shading does.

Here, by contrast, is today's map.

Adrian