Well that sucks

in a good way.

The other day I ordered some vacuum hose[1] - I thought it might prove handy in the workshop since I often struggle with dust collection on hand held tools, since the normal shop vac hoses are not really long enough.

What I did not take on board until I looked at it, was this was 32 mm hose - which is a bit narrower than the normal vacuum hose. Not only is it much slimmer and lighter than the normal hose, it also seems to fit straight into the dust ports on all kinds of tools without needing any adaptors, gaffer tape or other kludges. (and the other end stuffs tightly up the end of the vacuum hose from the vac).

So by the simple expedient of cutting of a good length, lobbing it over a ceiling joist with some slack, the vacuum can be tucked out of the way in a corner, and the hose will then follow me wherever I am working. A simple thing, but it made me happy ;-)

[1]
John Rumm

Lovely. I've bookmarked that for future use.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Good solution! It looks very similar to the hose used in ponds to connect pumps to filters and water features. Is it the same stuff?

Reply to
Roger Mills

It could well be... Looking at the offerings on the various pond sites they certainly look similar - and 32mm is one of the options. Not any cheaper doing it that way by the looks of it though.

Ironically I had bought a box of it in the past with the intention of using it in the workshop, but actually found a use for it first on my submersible pump, where having 20m of larger bore hose was actually quite useful - so decided to dedicate it to that. (did not think a combination of damp hose and wood dust would work well together!)

So I only got round to buying another box for my originally intended use recently. Shame I never got round to it sooner after years of putting up with short hoses, using bits of various diameter waste pipe offcut to make the final connections to different tools.

Reply to
John Rumm