Greek Sewers. Always told about not putting paper in toilets in Greece.

Always told about not putting paper in toilets in Greece. Surely if they had the will to do something then some sort of macerator / separator / shredder could be installed at the exit point of hotels, etc. I understand the wet wipes problem, but surely something could reduce the risk of blockages. Doe anyone know of something that could compare to what is needed?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

At my place of work they appear to have large centralised macerations on every floor to handle the output from the toilets and sinks.

Reply to
alan_m

my understanding is that it's the internal pipe work that can't take the waste, not the street sewer (BICBW)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Same in some parts of China - 3" internal pipes.

You *can* flush some paper down but it's a risk

Reply to
Tim Watts

The US used 3" pipes in many states. Every US hardware store stocks a toilet plunger! Our daughter defined the US system as, dump, flush, wipe, flush, wipe, flush, wipe, flush. Repeat as necessary. Her sister in law is known in the family as "Big Jobs" after one unfortunate experience of not following the pattern.

Reply to
Capitol

3" toilet wastes are occasionally found in the UK too, and building regs still allow a single WC on a 3" waste pipe, although I don't think you would find any new installation using 3" pipe for very many years now.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

One reason is that much of Greece is on hard limestone with little topsoil, so digging trenches is hard work. The smaller the pipes, the smaller the trenches you have to dig. Smaller pipes block more easily, and can't take the extra volume.

As a result many sites are not on public sewerage - everybody has septic tanks. Even in villages and towns septic tanks are common. The non-paper rule then means they have to be emptied much less frequently. Plus it makes sense to have a convention, rather than every house having to have different rules.

Though the state of plumbing (or electrics or tiling or...) isn't particularly great as 'that's the way we've always done it'.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I'm not convinced that a 3" pipe needs much less work than a 4" pipe, particularly when you are already doing the trench for the 3" pipe.

Smaller pipes block more easily, and

But we don?t in fact see other places that do have septic tanks and community septic tanks ban the use of paper.

Plus it makes

Reply to
john james

No way am I having a bin full of shitty paper in the bathroom. Shit and jump straight in the shower works well enough for me

Reply to
stuart noble

stuart noble wrote in news:WycPw.1153628$ snipped-for-privacy@fx44.am:

Agree - my standard operating procedure. The Cleaning Lady empties the bins and the hotel corridors have bags of shitty paper. The bags then get in the skips and the cats and flies get in.

If it was th eUK then the EU would have insisted we changed by now and we would be rushing to comply.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Although what possessed them to choose 50mm pipe as their standard is a mystery.

Reply to
Nightjar

And just how do they clean their bums? Does every loo have a bidet or do they collect their shitty paper?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They collect the paper in a bin next to the loo.(with varying degrees of hygienic handling and disposal)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That must smell to high heaven in Greek temperatures surely?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+