Subject Author Posted Replies

Floodlight - inhibit daytime operation
I have a 300watt non-PIR floodlight in my back garden. It is on a two way switch (one is 2gang with the kitchen light - the other is next to patio door.) Occassionally someone hits the wrong switch...
43
43

B&Q spends £60m on relaunched website
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=18239 http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=18239 http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=18239 http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=18239...
24
24

Del boy dowels
I have some 'dowels' that consist of debarked cut hardwood twigs. They were cut to select the straightest most consistent sections, but they aren't pe rfect. Question is do such things have any...
26
26

OT: Mobile phone repair
I've got a Google Nexus 5 that's intermittently faulty. It's NOT on a contract, I bought it independently myself about 13 or 14 months ago, so where's the best place to get these things repaired? We...
13
13

VERO board & Visio
couple of ccts on the go, breadboarded to point they work now want to convert to veroboard (simply not worth a PCB) I use VISIO which would seem ideal ... does anybody have any vero / component...
14
14

bi-fold doors experiences please?
I'm thinking of fitting bi-fold doors to an extension as raved about on TV (100K house etc) But how tough are they, do they last? Are they easy to fix if the hinges get bent? Child-proof? And how to...
1
1

Recommendations for LED floodlights?
I'm after 4 floodlights that use LED. I'm aiming for light intensity equivalence to 300W to 500W in old incandescent terms Must be good value for money Must have good colour rendering, i,e no "cool...
11
11

Nuclear fusion on a truck ?
An American defence company claims it is on the verge of launching a new atomic age with a truck-sized fusion reactor that could be tested in less than a year. Lockheed Martin expects to unveil a...
30
30

Sheds - what type and where to buy?
I need some extra storage in the garden so it's time for a shed. The available space is 6x10ft but a 6x8 shed would be fine. Alternatives seem to be: metal (condensation?), plastic (price!), wood...
19
19

I realise now what's been happening
I've been doing a job that involves drilling a lot of small holes in steel and aluminium. The sizes vary. I started to get irritated because the boxes of small HSS drill bits (I buy in boxes of ten)...
30
30

TOT: Yum!
I feel a bit of a cheat wasting a TOT on a booze recommendation rather than some political rant but her goes: Morrisons has Gordons sloe gin for 16quid at the mo, very nice stuff and highly...
2
2

OT Wind power cheapest form of energy.
Onshore windfarms far cheaper than coal and gas when health impacts are factored in, report shows
126
126

PING Bill
Hi On a Sky dish there is a thingy that looks like a stubby microphone that points at the dish. Wossit called?
14
14

Remove a water stain on fabric
I had a large window curtain satisfactorily dry cleaned. It's made of coarse, heavy cotton. Later, I tried to clean a small stain on it with cold water and mild hand soap. That stain was gone, but...
8
8

Need a new boiler
Seventeen year old Ideal Minimiser has finally given up the ghost so it is time for a replacement. What is the current recommendation for the best make to look for. This will be a basic condensing...
29
29