Need a new boiler

Seventeen year old Ideal Minimiser has finally given up the ghost so it is time for a replacement.

What is the current recommendation for the best make to look for. This will be a basic condensing boiler, not a combination.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Worcester-Bosch is a name that seems to keep coming up as generally good. Viessmann is another.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The engineer who condemned the old one recommended Worcester-Bosch but then they are Worcester-Bosch installers so I didn't take that to immediately mean that they were the best.

Reply to
Andrew May

They're Bosch. That usually gives a clue that they're at the better end of quality.

B'sides that, I'll always lean Bosch wherever possible, because of their ownership. They're owned by a charitable foundation who distribute the vast majority of profits to humanitarian and development projects.

Adrian

Vaillant also do decent kit.

Reply to
John Rumm

Good to know, cheers.

Reply to
R D S

+1, very happy with mine which is now a couple of years old.
Reply to
newshound

Which Oct 13

Allan (no connection with Which other than as a subscriber)

Reply to
Allan

+2 now 9 yrs old and the first problem this autumn with a slight leak on the condensate drain - probably a hairline crack on the plastic cap

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Interesting that Which owners (who generally seem to me to have little real technical knowledge of products) give the same "top two" as those of us who have installed, repaired, or serviced them.

Reply to
newshound

Shit sample size. Shit magazine.

Reply to
ARW

As a matter of interest, why did he condemn it? If it needs a spare which he says is not available, have you verified that independently?

17 years old is no age for a decent boiler. My Baxi Solo is 24!
Reply to
Roger Mills

Interesting. Our kitchen seems to be filling up with Bosch stuff. Freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, food mixer, kettle, dishwasher...

Only problem is that most of them have the SAME warning beep. And they don't even let you adjust the pitch! :-)

(the SWM and TD alow you to vary the volume though...)

Reply to
Bob Eager

OK, so if Which?'s conclusions are rubbish, and they are the same as those I get here, obviously the people here must be wrong too. Who can I trust?

(I've used Which? many times, and despite their limitations I know no better commercial data source)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Their conclusions can be rubbish in that they were arrived at invalidly, but still end up implying the same purchasing decisions as conclusions with a better pedigree.

Trust no-one.

Reply to
polygonum

That's what Herod said to Claudius.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You are probably getting a slightly bigger sample size here - and from people who understand the technology probably better than Which?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Really?

According to the Which? report: "Problems listed in order of frequency. Brand reliability sample size: 1,580. Customer score sample size: 1,911"

What are the equivalent stats for the opinions on this topic expressed in this newsgroup?

Reply to
nemo

It is the performance that matters. A boiler of that age will not be very efficient compared with current models.

Choose a Grant for a replacement.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

We have had a W-B for the last ten or so years and are happy with it. A plumber I trust (yes, there are some out there!) recommends both W-B and Viessmann and says he is tending towards Viessmann as, though the difference is small, they are showing to be a little more dependable.