Subject Author Posted Replies

Remove a water stain on fabric
I had a large window curtain satisfactorily dry cleaned. It's made of coarse, heavy cotton. Later, I tried to clean a small stain on it with cold water and mild hand soap. That stain was gone, but...
8
8

Need a new boiler
Seventeen year old Ideal Minimiser has finally given up the ghost so it is time for a replacement. What is the current recommendation for the best make to look for. This will be a basic condensing...
29
29

Off topic: video about BBC bias
Bill In the run-up to the BBC's application for the renewal of its Royal Charter - i.e. the legal device by which the BBC has the right to demand a tax of £145.50 of every inhabitor of a U.K....
15
15

[OT] Problems sending e-mail via Zen
I switched ISP from Demon to Zen a few weeks ago, and am now 500 miles from home, but cannot send e-mails, although can receive. Am staying with my brother, accessing his wi-fi, as I have done many...
13
13

TCP LED Lamps
Anyone had long term experience with this brand? Homebase (I know...) have a decent deal on candle format dimmables and the dimming seems to work with a non "low power" ordinary dimmer quite happily....
10
10

Looking for this cable in white
I bought a 3mtr long cable , which I thought? would be ok, but now I have been told that it isn't, and need a longer ,6m, cable in white, if it exists. Twin RCA Phono Stereo cable 6mtr with red and...
18
18

OT ish: XP netbook died but SATA HDD is OK - can install in Ubuntu box and run as dual boot?
Ageing Asus XP netbook has died but its SATA HDD is OK - can I and how would I, go about installing this HDD in my "workaday" Ubuntu box ideally as a dual boot so I can "nip back" to the bad old MS...
8
8

Ping for "The other Mike"
you posted ... The Other Mike Aug 3 Rick, I'll not be back home until around early October, give me a ping on here and I'll have a look for them. Early October so as requested giving you a reminder

anybody using BT and Thunderbird to access this group
TB is no longer working for access to usenet. I know BT occasionally change server names & ports. Can anyone confirm correct name / port settings Until now I have been using port 119 I tried changing...
48
48

OT If the EU want to do something useful.......rather than pick on vacuum cleaners
Yesterday afternoon I was in our local market town enjoying a coffee in a regional chain coffee shop - Not the Starbucks or the Costa's but one who is regional to SW England. It was a dank drizzly...
55
55

OT What a pity they sacked him
Or The 'Related Articles' linked to on the lower LHS are interesting, too. And I see the climate scientists have added yet another item to the long list of 'things we didn't know about the climate':...
2
2

braun toothbrush battery charger compatibility
Does anyone know if Braun battery toothbrush chargers are compatible between different models? I have a spare 4729 charger and a chap has left his charger for his 3756 brush in Spain. I'm thinking if...
17
17

Kitchen mixer taps
Have been looking for ages for a kitchen mixer tap. Almost every one which is otherwise acceptable demands a water pressure of 1.0 bar or higher. We'd struggle. Mains cold is fine, but open system HW...
28
28

DIY at Aldi
Plenty of DIY stuff at Aldi this Thursday including WD-40 and knitting wool! Shop for Baby, DIY, Kitchen, Cycling, Sports, Tvs, Home & Garden online.
5
5

[OT] Winter is coming early
A week ago they promised us lot in Sussex torrential rain (turned out more like drizzle and the odd downpour). Then next week was going to be summer again for a week or two (18+C). Now they say it's...
8
8