Anyne recommend a cheap scale-reducer for an electric shower?

My old electric shower bit the dust due to limescale. I live in a hard water area. Can anyone recommend a cost-effective and compact limescale reducing device that I could plumb into the water feed to the new shower?

Last time I looked into this topic was about 1994 and in those days, the magnetic in-line scale reducers were cosidered my many plumbers to be almost useless. Is that still the case?

A more effective option might be a phosphate doser, but I think they cost about ?50+ each and there is no guarantee that the replacement canisters will still be available when you need one.

I also need to bear in mind that a completely new shower can be got for about ?50, so it wouldn;t make much sense to spend big money on an expensive scale-reducer.

The main reason for wanting to avoid reglar shower replacements is the sheer hassle of it, and having to possibly drill extra holes in a nice tiled wall, etc.

Many thanks for any advice/suggestions...

Jim

Reply to
Jim x321x

Is 1994 contemporary with the installation of the "old shower"? 20 years is not bad going. And in what way has it bit the dust?

If it's just build up of scale I can't see why you don't take it off the wall, plug one or attach a blind stub to one of the pip connections fill with hot lime scale remover and leave for 24 hours, maybe need to repeat a few times.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup...

You can get them cheaper than that. Also you can refill most with generic polyphosphate balls.

Hopefully one scale reducer will protect several lifetimes worth of shower.

I went for the BWS cartridge system - was about £40 IIRC. You can refill the cart with crystals every couple of years.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm guessing you don't do the house cleaning. The main reason for softening water is so that you don't have to use harsh chemicals to get rid of the s tuff off of everything.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Yes I'd like to know this too. as far as I am aware the AC hf electro magnet type simply makes the lumps of scale clump together in the stream of water, and probably stick or stuff up some other bit of plumbing, but they are not really very good as they do not actually remove it. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Sounds promising. By putting it immediately at the mains water inlet, it would protect everything: washing machine, dishwasher, kettle, shower, etc. Is the water drinkable after it has gone through one of these dosers?

Jim

Reply to
Jim x321x

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

No; 1994 was when I was looking into ways to stop my combi's heat exchanger from furring up.

Thanks for the suggestion. It does sound like a bit of a rigmarole, with possible headache induced by disturbing the plumbing etc. I'd like to see a video of this process, to get a better idea of home much aggro is involved. I'm really looking fo easy solutions of the 'install it and forget it' kind. Or at least, something that is easy to refill such as a chaeap phosphate doser perhaps.

Jim

Reply to
Jim x321x

I believe so, but I have mine in the feed to the header tank for the hot water cylinder.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, its a "food grade" additive (and in very low quantities)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Cool! 'Ngona get one! Sounds like it might be ?40 well-spent.

Jim

Reply to
Jim x321x

so how do these things compare to a water softener?

Reply to
Chris French

Well they stopped/reduced the phosphates in soap powder because of the harmful effects it was having on rivers, etc.

Reply to
dennis

They don't - they don't soften the water, they just prevent the scale from precipitating out when you heat it. You will still get scale from evaporating water, plus difficulty lathering etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, ok thnaks.

Reply to