Recommend shower door manufacturer other than Holcam

I was wondering if anyone knows a good manufacturer/vendor of shower doors. This is more for future reference, or advice that I can give to anyone asking about my remodelling project.

I recently had Holcam "Eurolite" shower doors manufactured for my bathroom. They're much like a Mercedes. Very expensive ($1100!!!!), look great, but they have many problems. For one thing, the fixed panel

was chipped at the factory. My contractor examined the packaging, and no glass chip could be found in the foam or packaging. They must have chipped the glass at the factory, and not noticed it (or maybe they did), and sent it anyway. Yes, I'm sure they would take it back and send me another one, but one has to consider labor... Is it worth $280 to have my workers take it back to the reseller, wait another 4 weeks, and then install it? It takes 2 people to carry each panel. What if they send me another chipped one? This could go on and on...

So I decided to live with the small chip in the glass, even though, at $1100, these should be perfect. But I can't wait another 4 weeks, and I

don't want to pay more money for labor.

So this morning, I took a very short shower (didn't wash my hair, so it

was 5 minutes). When I opened the door, to my horror, there was a huge puddle on my new floor. It looked like a 1/2 liter bottle of water had completely spilled on the floor. I measured the gap between the panel and the door, and it's only 1/52", which is what Holcam says there will

be, if it is installed properly. The gap acts like a channel -- it channels water down on to the floor. There has to be a gap, since the door and fixed panel cannot touch or scrape each other.

So, for $1100, I have a somewhat nice looking shower door (with a chip in the corner) that doesn't keep the water out.

The doors were installed properly. In fact, I was amazed at how level and straight everything is, considering that my shower is tiled with natural stone, which is quite irregular. Nontheless, everything was installed within the tolerances specified by Holcam.

Anyone know a vendor of shower doors that is competant?

I wish I had just stuck with the $20 shower curtain setup from Target. Not as "nice" looking, but it worked. Nothing easier to clean either --

after 6-9 months, you get a new shower curtain. The main thing -- it kept out the water!

I would strongly dissuade anyone thinking of getting Holcam shower doors... Unless you like spending a lot of money on inferior quality products that don't work properly.

Reply to
central_scrutinizer

Are you sure that there is not supposed to be a gasket of some type between the door and frame. Also, usually attached to the inside bottom of the door is some sort of deflector that takes all the water that runs off the door and dumps it into the floor pan. That's what usually keeps the water from leaking out. MLD

Reply to
MLD

There isn't supposed to be a gasket or anything between the two door panels. I did call them, and they are sending me something that should help. It's some sort of weather-stripping kind of thing -- an adhesive strip. I'm not terribly fond of this solution. It seems a bit cheap for how much this shower door costs. Did I mention these doors are 5 times more expensive than any other shower doors, and over 50 times more expensive than a shower curtain, rod, and rings... The shower curtain is 50 times more effective at keeping out water. This is by far the most IRONIC product I have ever bought.

I did find that the door can shut in a way where the panels aren't flush with each other. When you start to close the door, the hinges sort of automatically "kick in" and it shuts. But in this position, they aren't flush. So I found I need to adjust the door so that the door and panel are flush. Then there is only a little puddle on the floor. Still not what you want from a $1100 product, and the shower curtain outperforms this shower door. I never thought I would spend $1100 on a shower door, and end up mopping the floor after every shower. This is crap. In my remodelling, I had a very nice natural stone tile floor installed. I can't have standing water on it, so it needs to be mopped up after every shower.

There is a deflector on the bottom of the door, and this works OK. It's the very tiny gap that needs to be between the door and fixed panel that is the problem -- the vertical gap between the fixed panel and door.

As for the chipped glass, I emailed the company and asked for $250 back for the chip, but I haven't heard back. This seems fair. They sent me the equivalent of a "scratch & dent" floor model for full price. There ought to be a law that if you buy a product and it comes damaged, you should be able to get a 20% refund for the product. Returning it is not an option, since the labor will be an extra $280. These are very heavy and large things, and I can't throw it in the back of my compact car and take it back to the Home Depot. I hired my contractors (2 people) to pick it up and install it. When they took it out of the packaging (I was there the entire time, they did not damage it), one of them brought this to my attention, and asked if they wanted me to install it. I was annoyed, but I don't want a $1400 job to turn into a $1700 job... And what if they send me another panel that is also chipped? Then it becomes a $2000 project. There were no signs that this was chipped in shipping -- no glass chips in the foam or packaging. No damage to the packaging. It was actually packaged quite well. I believe this was chipped during fabrication, and they sent it anyway. You can only see the chip from the inside of the shower, but it is quite noticible. Not what you would expect for something that costs so much money. Then again, extremely wealthy people would not care. They would either not value $1100 as much as me, or they would pay for the labor to have it returned and re-installed later...

This is to be expected. Corporations do not take accountability for their products, and their return policies do not take into account how much it costs to have the product picked up, installed, etc. I am considering filing a small claims lawsuit against the company. I think the company doesn't understand the whole idea that I have to pay for labor to even return this thing. It's in everyone's best interest to just give me a partial refund -- Holcam won't need to make a new panel and pay for shipping both ways, and I won't have to pay extra labor costs to get my contractors to pick up and install the new door. I won't have to worry about the condition of the next panel. I don't think Holcam sees this, but I think a judge definately would. I talked to a lawyer at work, and she said this seems very winnable... The tough thing is collecting, but a company like this, with a Better Business Bureau affiliation will pay up...

Before I file a small claims lawsuit, I will write them a registered letter, and cc the BBB, as they are members. Sometimes emails reach the wrong people, and they just don't want to deal with it. I can't believe I got no reply at all, however. That's very rude.

At $1100, the condition of the panel is unnaceptable. With a $250 refund, I could at least live with the idea that I bought a "scratch and dent sale floor model" quality product. But Holcam has not responded to this. I don't think this is unreasonable. Returning the product and getting a new one (this is custom made) would cost both of us more money.

Anyone considering buying a Holcam Eurolite door should reconsider, unless you are oppressively wealthy, and can afford to have the labor send things back until it's right... And also if you have a maid who will mop the floor everyday. These are not the sort of products that people with "professional" incomes should buy. I'm "well off"... I'm doing a $70,000 remodelling job on my place, and paying for it with my savings, and not some equity loan... But I still find paying $1100 for crap to be very annoying.

This is like the $100,000 Mercedes that is the most unreliable car on the road. You have to be really rich to have it installed and to have a maid come and mop your floor. Maybe a good product for the old money trust fund elites, but for people who actually work for their money, you will feel pain from being ripped off... At least with the Mercedes, you get a warranty, and they will give you a rental car while it's in the shop every other day...

Reply to
central_scrutinizer

Customers like you are great. You don't do the sensible thing like calling the distributor or manufacturer to view, inspect and appraise the defect BEFORE you install it. Even hack handymen have enough pride in their work to not install something that isn't going to keep the customer happy.

Happy modeming, Bo;;

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

The manufacturer is in Seattle, and I live in San Francisco. They are not going to fly down to examine a chip. I was also told by the distributor (The Home Despot) that this is custom made, and there is no return policy for this. If you know handymen that are willing to put in

4 extra hours for free (if I could return it), that's impressive. I don't have hack handymen. My contractors are getting around $30 an hour, which is decent for the SF area. I have never had a problem with their work. The only problems I have had are with some of the materials and products I have received. So even if Holcam are willing to pay to have it shipped back, make a new one, and ship it out, I still need to pay for the labor. This is why I decided to install it, with the chip, anyway. The next one could be worse. It seems like this happened at the factory. I told my contractor that I am going to ask for $220 back, and he said it seems fair...

I contacted the manufacturer, and they seem content to ignore the issue of the chipped glass. They are helping me with the leaking water, but their solution seems a bit cheap. I understand, to cut another custom made glass panel will cost them a lot of money, so they chose to ignore it. This isn't something the manufacturer will allow to be returned. They won't make a new one. They can't file it down, because the dimensions of the door must be exact. I'll I want is a 20% refund so I don't feel like I was totally taken... When a shower door costs as much as this did, it should be perfect. They need to take accountability for the defect.

Save your sarcasm for someone else. I'm not in the mood for your sh!t right now. Your post doesn't help at all, and you obviously don't understand my situation, my contractors, or the expense of labor in the SF Bay Area. Why don't you go nibble on a corn cob, Opie?

Reply to
central_scrutinizer

(This is where I would insert your name if you used one!):

They probably figure if you can afford $1,100.00 for a shower you can afford a maid to mop up the floor as it gets wet. Whatever possessed you to spend that amount of money for a shower door? Did you do any research on this item BEFORE the fact (also called due diligence), or did you just figure, 'these are so expensive they must be great'!?

I don't know much about shower doors, I put one on a shower stall about three houses ago, I think it cost me about 50 bucks at the time at Home Depot with a tube of silicone to boot, but I can tell you it kept the water inside the shower stall and wasn't in any way defective, but I do know quite a bit about buying things and the most expensive of anything is rarely the 'best value'.

Just my $.02 on shower doors and life.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Bo:

San Francisco, nuff said!

Jay

Reply to
Jay

What does that mean? Yeah, I know... Upstate New York is so cool... I wish I could freeze my a$$ off and get paid 1/2 as much...

Reply to
central_scrutinizer

Take a long deep breath, looks like somebody has their panties in a bunch!

I'm in Washington State (not really any snow where I am, thank you very much) and not driven by the almighty dollar. What part of, "just because it's the most expensive doesn't make it the best theory", don't you get?

Just my additional $.01 on life.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Oh... panties in a bunch. I get it, everyone in SF is a fairy...

No, Jay, you're the one that has to resort to "San Francisco, nuff said!". Why don't you get your hemp thong out of your a$$. Your fake "not driven by the almighty dollar" hippie B.S. is really funny and sanctimonious. Of course you don't care about me paying top dollar for damaged products. It's not your money.

theory", don't you get?

If you read my post, I compare these shower doors to a Mercedes -- an overpriced piece of crap that is always in the shop. I completely understand that you don't always get what you pay for, and mention this in my post. Your "life advice" doesn't help anyone. I got these shower doors, because they are the only swinging shower doors the HD sells, and I had to order them very fast, because they take so long to manufacture. My point is, if you pay top dollar, they should at least arrive without in excellent condition.

What part of asking the manufacturer for a scratch and dent rebate do you not get? What part of "returning this will cost me money because it takes two people to even lift the thing" do you not understand? I find the hippies that are "not in it for the money" are really "only in it for the money" when it comes to their money. When it's someone else's money, then it's "relax man... Have a toke and chill dude... It's only money"... I think all of that rain and bong resin has messed up your brain...

Reply to
central_scrutinizer

theory", don't you get?

Actually, 90% of the time, I have found the higher end items to be of better quality. For example, Hansgrohe plumbing fixtures are top notch. I had those installed in my shower. Their thermostatic control is very impressive -- it keeps the water at a constant temperature using a mechanical (non-electronic) device. Also, Toto toilets cost more than your average toilet, but the ones with the G-Max flushing system do not overflow, and the SanaGloss enamel coating keeps it very clean. I got what I paid for (for expensive items) with 90% of my home improvement purchases for this remodelling project.

One has to realize, when you pay for labor (and I am not an exploiter, I pay a fair wage), you should put in quality products, because cheap ones don't tend to last as long. A cheap faucet will drip, leak, etc. and last a lot less longer, then you pay again to buy a new one, have it installed, etc. This is the notion of being "pennywise and pound foolish"

Many people found the $100,000 Mercedes being the most unreliable car on the road to be outrageous. I feel a similar outrage about these Holcam shower doors. Usually, you do get what you pay for. When I don't, I get pissed. It doesn't happen often. For me, this is a first.

I did research these doors, and I found favorable reviews. So now, there is something posted on newsgroups about my problems, and my low opinion of this product.

Reply to
central_scrutinizer

Somewhere in your original spiel you thought Holcam sent you a damaged item that was on floor display. Even consumers and contractors in Boston have enough sense to look at the material on hand and make a decision before they install it. It doesn't matter if its Holcam, Abacus or Craft Diston that's supplying the item they have regional sales representatives that handle these kind of problems. But now that you've got yourself huffed up they probably won't talk to you over the phone.

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life found!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jay

No. This was a custom made product that arrived with a chip in the glass. My contractor notified me after he inspected it, and asked if I wanted to install it. If I returned it (which may not be possible), it would involved more labor costs, approximately $250. I decided to live with it.

The issue is that I think it's only fair to get a partial refund for this defect, considering how expensive this product is. This is where the notion of "floor model" comes in. The product arrived in that sort of condition.

You seem to think I don't have "enough sense". Actually, if you think spending an extra $250 on labor to return a minorly defective product is sensible, then we just have to agree to disagree. I think you don't have "enough sense".

Instead of paying $250 of my own money to have this problem solved, I decided to live with it. But I still think they owe me a partial refund, considering the exorbitant price of the product. At this price, the defect is unacceptable. It is also unacceptable for me to pay extra for my contractors to deal with the return process, IF they do allow it. When I mentioned the chip, they said they would send some weather stripping that should cover it... So I did, actually, call them on the phone. I wasn't rude, because they didn't imply that I'm some sort of panty-wearing fairy because I live in SF.

Does this make sense at all? Or do you just hire labor from the people hanging out in front of the U-haul and pay them $4/hour? Or are you a strong tough guy that can carry a 100 pound shower door, put it in the back of your Ford F-250 pickup, and take it back yourself? In either case, I am not in that situation.

Reply to
central_scrutinizer

theory", don't you get?

Dear CS-

Chill..........fyi

btw looks like you got you knickers all twisted over the "panties in a bunch" comment

how ironic :) cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Once installed, many manufactures will not replace, refund or discount damaged material, unless there is an agreement between the parties before the item is installed.

Does not mater how much it cost.

A lot of stuff is done on a turnkey basis. It avoids damaged material issues.

An other way is to have material delivered to the contractor. He signs when it is received in good condition and it is his responsibility until it is installed and accepted by the owner/architect/prime contractor.

Reply to
MikeP

We all make poor judgments, often based on what we see as the best financial decision at the moment. I would love to see you get at least $250.00 back for the damage but you have a tough case on your hands now. From my past experience I have never been reimbursed .02¢ for faulty material I installed, manufacturers and distributors just don't do those things. They gladly and sometimes grudgingly honor warrantees but that's a different topic. I've sent workers home and been sent home myself for the same issues but in the end the job was done correctly. Next time save yourself aggravation, follow the chain of delivery and notify everyone of the damage.

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

One thing I just noticed -- I went to the Home Depot and a company called Contractor's Wardrobe also sells the 3/8" tempered glass swinging shower doors. They are also custom made with a lifetime warranty. When I went to the Home Depot and asked the salesperson, he said only Holcam makes them (swinging shower doors)... Seeing as how he worked there for years selling shower doors, I think he was trying to steer me to the more expensive product, so he would get a bigger commission...

The CW shower doors also came in a tinted variety that look really cool... Oh well, you can't trust the people that work at the HD. I ended up seeing the CW shower doors a month later, but they were in a different section than the kitchen/bath stuff... They were literally in a different part of the store... "Yeah... Let's hide the cheaper stuff so if someone doesn't spend 4 hours rummaging through the HD, we'll sell them the Holcam doors..."

If you think $1100 is expensive, you have to realize, I got a 15% discount on them! They are typically more expensive!

I bought 4' mirrored closet doors made by Contractor's Wardrobe, and they were only $200... So I am assuming their 3/8" tempered glass shower doors would have been cheaper. I almost want to be ignorant of this, because it will be too painful to find out that they are indeed cheaper...

This is all the more reason not to shop at the HD. They pay their people so poorly, they have to resort to dishonesty to make a living. I clearly asked if there were any other options than Holcam for a swinging glass shower door. I was told no...

So anyone considering Holcam, check out Contractor's Wardrobe first. I think they might be cheaper... Holcam seems to be some upity company that thinks think their 3/8" glass is better than anyone else's...

As far as shipping/handling quality, I ordered stainless steel countertops from a company back East (Frigo Design), and they shipped them in wooden crates so they would not be damaged. They arrived in perfect condition, from across the country. Holcam sends glass in a cardboard box with some foam around it. They told me 1 out of 100 deliveries get chipped, and they think this is acceptable. A 1% delivery damage rate doesn't sound right to me. They should spend some of that huge profit they make on better packaging.

Reply to
central_scrutinizer

simpleman had written this in response to

:

Brian

Holcom Doors are junk. I have had two shatter while just hanging there. I am afraid to put them in my house and will search elsewhere for a QUALITY door. DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON THIS BRAND if you are smart enough to do some searching before your purchase. I wish I had!!!

and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 236057 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
simpleman

So thinking that a door that does not touch the shower base or walls will be a water tight seal? Honestly its the installer that should have sloped the shower base enough that the water will run back in the shower as opposed to puddling, or your sales person who did not explain that these type of doors are made for keeping splatter in as opposed to stopping direct spray from the head. Or the homeowner who didnt listen to either of the above referenced experts and thought Oooohhhh, thats pretty, I think I'll put that on my 36x36 shower. If you would have gotten a shower door that was meant to seal the water that brands like Holcam also sells would have been a great fit in your situation.

I dont blame my Yugo for not being able to pull my trailer when I'm the one who purchased the wrong vehicle to do the job.

Reply to
Doug