Subject Author Posted Replies

Euro or Oval Lock Cylinders
I realise they are not readily interchangable, but does one have any advantage over the other?

Intermittent kettling on Volkera compact bioler - fix?
Our flat has a Volkera Compact 25 HE boiler which is kettling occasionally (I don't know quite how oocasionally yet). It was installed five years or so ago and has been serviced (and passed its gas...
3
3

(OT Comment) Cars
On simple change that must have had a big impact on the rust-free life of a car must be plastic inner wing liners. When you see what they are it really makes you wonder why it took so long for them to...
19
19

Stopping a PC connecting to the Internet
I have a PC running Windows 7 driving my plasma cutter table. At the moment it is 'stand alone' ie NOT on my local network as I don't want external interference from the likes of Microsoft poking up...
28
28

DIY - soil improvement project
I have very bad ground .... it was a selfbuild site that was land built up by over 20' back in 30's to become a railway sidings .... what they built it up with is steel works slag & subsoil from...
39
39

No-salt water softener
Has anyone here used one of these no-salt water softeners? short version: "Almost all the benefits of fully softened water" is the claim, and at a much lower price. Many thanks.
4
4

Edison screw fittings
I installed an Edison screw lightbulb and it did not work. I loosened the bulb and it then worked. Is it a design feature that ES fittings do not work if too tight or is this just a quirk?
1
1

LED lighting
As I mentioned elsewhere, I am experimenting with LED lighting. I was having a curry with a former colleague last night, who mentioned his father hates LED lighting for the following reasons: 1. The...
113
113

Unobtanium obtained
3 way plumbing fitting in all 3 axes: u bend fitting: Prices are a bit surprising though. NT...
6
6

Re: should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?
For what? Brian
2
2

Drill for (mainly) wood
I need to replace my 25-year old Bosch drill. My immediate project is fitting 15 internal doors, so it'll be used mostly for drilling out the latches. Even in the future, I doubt I'll need to drill...
15
15

CH circulation problem
This is a bit long, sorry.... An acquaintance has a heating problem. For complicated reasons, I'm in char ge of sorting it out, at least for the next few days. It's a y-plan system with an Ideal...
5
5

New sauna problems
Wired in OK, but mains in is only showing 3VAC. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyrszQZWEAEbCbU.jpg
67
67

oil fired Worcester Danesmoor 15-19 boiler with Honeywell manual timer
I have lost the manual for setting the timer on my boiler. It is an Honeywell manual timer - I cant' find the instructions online (I guess it is so old!!) - can anyone help please!?
2
2

TV sound d/a conversion
My new Samsung TV UE43KU6000 has no analogue sound output for my existing hi-fi system. There seem to be a number of very similar looking converter boxes available, of which this is one of the...
30
30