Hit & Miss Ventilator

I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

whisky-dave

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017 06:39:00 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

Perhaps because they have a vague resemblance to a wooden structure such as this:

It's probably one of those terms that is better just to accept rather than rationalise.

Reply to
Graham.

"hit and miss" signifies the way they can be adjusted by sliding across the moveable screen.

OED has a definition:

Chambers's Techn. Dict. 417/2 Hit-and-miss ventilator, a ventilating device consisting of a slotted plate over which may be moved another slotted plate, so that the openings for access of air may be more or less restricted as required.

Reply to
Robin

spot on .......also comes from drainage trap top piece cast iron covers which ventilate and at the same time stop debris dropping into the trap.......

Retro Futurist ...

Am 02.10.2017 um 15:39 schrieb whisky-dave:

My theory, that i will try to explain. (But will fail, because my English is not good, i am a Kraut) Look at this:

It is made of 2 identical sheets of metal with holes in it. The sheets can be moved parallel. If a hole in sheet 1 meets a hole in sheet 2: Hit! ->Airflow If a hole in sheet 1 meets a 'non hole area' in sheet 2: Miss! -> No Airflow

Hope, you see what i am trying to say.

Reply to
Matthias Czech

In message , whisky-dave writes

How boring. I thought there was going to be a David Jacobs connection.

Reply to
Graeme

Reply to
Bob Eager

Because of the lining up or non lining up of the holes in the static and moving parts. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff