Subject Author Posted Replies

Heating, pressure relief valve
Combi boiler (Baxi 100HE), when I set water pressure to approx 1.75 bar I get some water escaping from the external pressure relief valve, maybe half a cup or so. Anything below 1.75 bar is ok. Is...
4
4

Fiat Seicento petrol fault and another similar car has no reading on speedo..
After being encouraged to open up the tank I finally did this and was rathe r surprised to find at least half a Kilo of sand and debris blocking most o f the pump and filter plastic combination. When...
3
3

And todays top tip
Don't ever drive a Fiat Doblo. My Scudo is yet again in the garage for more repairs and I was given a Doblo until it is fixed. The Doblo has self locking doors that lock 2 minutes after closing the...
27
27

OT: Question on Eggheads: COBOL, FORTRAN and ALGOL are examples of ...
1) Computer Languages 2) Asian Rodents 3) Weather Systems. All three specified as upper case by Jeremy Vine. Answer: 3) Weather Systems. But the contestant correctly sussed HTML as a computer language...
17
17

What is cyanoacrylate accelerator for?
In my experience, superglue sets instantly, usually before you've got the workpieces together straight, why on earth would you need to accelerate it? Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders....
27
27

ping Huge - window screens!
Have you had any luck sourcing window screens? I've seen some recently on Amazon, and was wondering if you'd tried them. Buying in the UK would certainly be easier for me than carrying them from the...
4
4

Charging 12v battery from 12v cigar lighter socket?
I am getting to the point where it seems a cunning plan isn't. We have a caravan with a leisure battery. We also have a spare leisure battery which gives us the option to carry it for extra capacity...
31
31

Spendidly whacky!
Steam-powered-bicycle.. Geoff Hudspith is bringing steam-powered transportation to the 21st century.
21
21

OT: Car Hire
Hi, Any recommendations for decent car hire companies in southern England? Anyone got any recent experience favourable or otherwise? I particularly wish to avoid any of those that try to frighten you...
17
17

[OT] Which is a better way to pay? Bank transfer or cheque?
Going to rent a property abroad from a British private owner in the summer. He obviously doesn't accept a credit cards which would have been my preferred choice, but only a bank transfer or cheque....
25
25

Have I fixed it or not B&S 14HP 28N777
Tractor mower. I have been bothered for a few years by it burning oil, running rough intermitently and oil sucked into the air filter. It seemed better if I allowed the oil level to drop, rather than...
3
3

2 port zone valve - switch rating?
I can't find any data on Danfoss's site (as an example). As a general rule, is the microswitch in a zone vale suitable for switching a pump directly, or is a relay advised? Ta - Tim PS - can anyone...
17
17

Screeding a new shower, part 1 - grid drain
Photos: This is going to be a wet room, shower one side, loo and basin the other, underfloor heating to keep it dry. Stage 1 was to set the ACO drain in place. on top of the concrete will be 50mm...
12
12

Disc Brakes
Why don't they make the pads just a bit bigger so that they don't allow a lip to develop on the periphery of the disc?
120
120

OT _ Manholes in Roads
Good road surfaces often seem to be ruined by sinking manhole surrounds which then accelerates due to the pounding of wheels. What is the cause? Is it the brickwork of the chamber that is sub-standard...
17
17