Mischievous question

I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)

Reply to
Scott

A bit, in theory. It all depends on how cold you let your flat go, and then on the construction details. Were you planning to open all your windows as well?

Reply to
newshound

Yes, but not by much.

Reply to
ARW

yes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wondered about this when my house was empty for 3 weeks during cold weather. I live in a mid-terrance house and during that time I only had the heating come on for a low frost protection temperature.

Reply to
alan_m

Very little. I'd be more worried if he turns his off.

Reply to
Fredxx

Depending on your reasons, a storage heater may be the answer and would not entail you having to wear several layers indoors.

It would not affect his gas bill though and indeed may introduce a slight drop.

Installation might be tricky, and an example of a suitable explanation of why your storage heater was connected to the neighbours light fitting might form a good request for uk.d-i-y though.

If fortune smiles on you, the neigbours light may even have the switch in the neutral.

Time to cancel that holiday in the tropics methinks :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

It'd increase yours more if they turned theirs off ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interesting, because my former neighbour had no central heating and I have noticed a definite warming effect on my flat since heating was installed downstairs.

Reply to
Scott

Yes. The heat that will be lost going along the thermal gradient from their warm ceiling to your cold floor (that was previously a very small or non existent gradient) will have to be replaced by their heating.

Reply to
Tim Watts

When you do full heat calculations for a house, a significant quantity of the heat upstairs comes from downstairs through the floor. If you are zoning and might want to heat only the upstairs, you have to calculate on the basis of reduced or no heat from downstairs (depending if you will have a setup or heating downstairs completely off), and will require higher heat output (e.g. larger upstairs radiators).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

One of my former downstairs neighbours had a baby, and so kept their flat warm. I really noticed when they moved out!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I know it's just a typo, but it makes me grin.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

If the temperature in your flat fell to outside temperature, then significantlty. Depending on the U value of your floor/their ceiling.

Reply to
harry

It'll increase your air-conditioning bill in the summer and you'll keep the lower flat much cooler.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

How insulated are the floors and ceilings is the key I'd have thought unless there is a direct path for air between the flats. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I am in a terrace, ie not the end house, and I notice that the house is warmer as for a start i only have two outside walls, unlike the end terraces, whether I am actually getting any heat flow through the party walls is debatable of course. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I live in a terrace house built in 1902. I can feel the heat coming from both my neighbours as the party walls are solid.

Reply to
Dave W

I wonder what temperature diference you would see between each side by measuring the walls with an infrared thermometer.

Reply to
pamela

Paint them black and put fins on them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns