Smoke alarms, approx fitting costs

Below is going to be made law in Scotland, I already have alarms so they can fekc off! However thinking of some old dear on a state pension or someone on benefits what would be an approx cost to get an electrician to fit as below.
Quote............ "Now everyone will benefit from the same level of protection, whether you own your home, or rent from a social or private landlord."
In practical terms, the law will require private homes to; have at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used have at least one smoke alarm in spaces such as hallways and landings have at least one heat alarm in every kitchen have a carbon monoxide detector
In addition, there will be a 10-year age limit for alarms and all alarms will have to be ceiling-mounted, and should be interlinked.".........
On 18/03/2018 21:12, ss wrote:

As they have to be interlinked do they also have to be mains powered?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 18/03/2018 21:24, alan_m wrote:

you can get interlinked battery powered alarms. The batteries don't last as long or they have two batteries.
On 18/03/18 22:27, dennis@home wrote:

They can be bought to last 10 years
On 18/03/2018 22:27, dennis@home wrote:

I'll bet they ware wanting Grade D - mains powered with a battery backup.
--
Adam

On 19/03/2018 18:59, ARW wrote:

No. Looks they are not.
http://www.scottishhousingnews.com/20385/new-fire-smoke-alarm-regulations-apply-homes-scotland/
--
Adam

On 18/03/2018 21:24, alan_m wrote:

I dont know, I am only asking as I am writing to my MP asking how he expects those that can ill afford to pay for the installation.
On 18/03/2018 23:20, ss wrote:

If battery operated how is the Scottish Parliament going to ensure that the majority of these alarms will not be useless after a few years when those who cannot be bothered at present to fit them will not be bothered to replace the batteries?
How is the Scottish Parliament going to police this policy?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 18/03/2018 23:39, alan_m wrote:

Like most other things they do, probably a shambles!
That is the whole problem with legislation today though. for example its been illegal for the NHS to refuse reasonable alternative format communication with blind patients, but they still send printed paper to a good70 percent of those who have asked. No policing means no enforcement means no incentive to spend the money to comply. Brian
--
----- -

According to no lesser source than the Metro, enforcement will take place at point of sale. Unless the fire system is compliant, no Home Report will be issued, thereby preventing sale of the property.
On 19/03/18 14:03, Scott wrote:

That sounds like proper "Big Government". I do sometimes wonder why the Scot vote these people in...
Tim Watts wrote:

A foretaste of the next Health and Safety loving Labour government south of the border
-
On Monday, 19 March 2018 16:36:56 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

In 2016 SNP got 46.5% of the constituency vote.
Ruth Davidson's on Celebrity Bake Off tonight so we'll see if her scones rise more than her share of the vote (or if she sets off the smoke alarm in the Tent).
Owain
On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 08:27:55 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Surely it's the way she pronouces 'scones' is the most important point, then it's whther she adds jam or cream first ;-0
Who'd vote for some one that clouldn't get the basics right :-D
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 23:20:40 +0000, ss wrote:

The age limit is reasonable, as that is usually the working life of the detector.
On 18/03/2018 23:46, Bob Eager wrote:

Well it is *certainly* not the effective lifetime of the source: Am 241 has a half life of 432 years. So after 10 years the strength is only down by about 2%.
As an aside, a Stanford web site says the annual dose from smoke detectors is between 0.1 and 0.5 bananas per year.
http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2011/ph241/eason1/
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 13:51:06 +0000, newshound wrote:

It's more about dust, dirt, corrosion, etc.

You may find writing to your MSP a more fruitful exercise.
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:24:17 +0000, alan_m wrote:

I couldn't find any non mains powered interlinked ones when I last looked. I had seen some before, eventually put in the (ELV) wiring, then couldn't find them again.
I ended up rewiring for mains ones, using 6243Y.