Smoke alarms, approx fitting costs

No. Looks they are not.

ARW

Why not? It attracts attention to what they are doing and gets the job done.

Reply to
ARW

For the last couple of weeks I have been fitting a lot of mains powered (some RF and some cable interlinked smokes/heats COs but always mains powered with battery back up) for the government. Houses that have been bought to demolish ready for HS2. These houses will be rented out until the bulldozers arrive.

I have no idea who is running this but the spec changes on every job!

Reply to
ARW

No electric tumble drier or fridge then?

What I wonder is which room this would be:

"at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for general daytime living purposes,"

Reply to
Michael Chare

As I mentioned elsewhere, according to the Metro enforcement will be at time of sale. The property won't get a Home Report unless it complies.

Reply to
Scott

I call it the lounge. Southerners call it a living room.

Or for most people it's the room with the TV and SKY box in it.

Reply to
ARW

Why does that require interlinking? (It does require one in her room)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Was it Keith Laird?

Reply to
ARW

Can a home report legally prevent a sale?

Reply to
alan_m

Not true in our house, which is why I went for interlinked ones. The house is large and is an odd shape. It's also why we have a lot of internal phones.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Little kids may not wake to the sound of an alarm, however loud.

Reply to
Max Demian

A foretaste of the next Health and Safety loving Labour government south of the border

-
Reply to
Mark

Absence of it will.

A home report must be provided by law for a residential property to be adve rtised for sale in Scotland (with a few exceptions). Solicitors and estate agents wouldn't handle a property without it if it's required as they'd be liable for the fine:

The Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 (Amount of Penalty Charge) Regulations 2007 The person responsible for marketing a house must have a Home Report and m ust give a copy to any potential buyer who asks for it. Anyone who does not do this may get a penalty charge notice from an authorised officer of a lo cal authority. In cases like this, the regulations prescribe a penalty char ge of £500.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In 2016 SNP got 46.5% of the constituency vote.

Ruth Davidson's on Celebrity Bake Off tonight so we'll see if her scones rise more than her share of the vote (or if she sets off the smoke alarm in the Tent).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

So a home report saying that the property has no roof, the gas boiler is dangerous, there is no mains drainage, the water from the well is polluted would be issued to tell a prospective buyer that the property is in need of serious modernisation but if no smoke alarms are fitted to the same property the home report will not be issued and therefore cannot be sold - until smoke alarms are fitted?

Isn't the report a (legally binding) document on the existing condition of the building, including deficiencies, which the buyer can make a decision on whether to buy or not? Policing of the smoke alarm policy by not issuing a home report on non-compliance seems to be over the top.

Reply to
alan_m

Does someone not quite often go into the kitchen? It appears to be the frequency of use that counts.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Surely it's the way she pronouces 'scones' is the most important point, then it's whther she adds jam or cream first ;-0

Who'd vote for some one that clouldn't get the basics right :-D

Reply to
whisky-dave

Morning Room, if you please. Living rooms are what the plebs relax in...

:->>>

Reply to
Tim Watts

In England, I thought it was a requirement to market the house, rather than sell it.

So if your mate said "can I buy your house", you can legally sidestep it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Because if there's a fire from the TV upstairs, I damn well want to know about it before the whole house is on fire!

:->

Reply to
Tim Watts