Any experiences of hook'n' loop "pad savers"?

Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

Reply to
nothanks

I've found that they work well with BUT the hook and loop doesn't like being abused. Let the tool do the work and don't force the tool into the work as the heat generated will destroy both the loop and hook surfaces.

I now only by "branded" hook/loop sanding pads as I've not had a good experience with some no-name pads from discount/pound stores.

Reply to
alan_m

Sorry misread the question - I've no experience with pad savers.

Reply to
alan_m

Thinking of things like these:

nothanks

I use them all the time - certainly cheaper than a new backing pad for the sander. The padded ones are particularly good if you want to sand curved surfaces. (or to sand a surfaced curved even!)

Reply to
John Rumm

That's interesting. Where do you buy them from - Axminster?

I'm about to start sanding a 1930s parquet floor that I've partially re-laid (about 250 blocks by the time I get the last ones down tomorrow). I can't decide whether to hire a Sandglider or to buy an Erbauer 150mm random orbital sander from SFix - not the ideal tool, but with care I should be able to get the floor reasonably flat while retaining a little of the "character" ... unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Reply to
nothanks

Yup, I think that is where I got them from last time.

Depends on if you need a ROS left over after the job ;-)

Since it sounds like you are not seeking to completely flatten the floor, the ROS should do the job, although it will be somewhat tedious on hands and knees. Good kneelers and anti vibration gloves recommended.

Reply to
John Rumm

You're a sucker for punishment using a random orbital on an entire floor. Floors seldom need sanding anwway.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I suspect you're right about the ROS. As I said, it's a 1930s floor that is rather uneven because of being relaid. It's also got 80 years worth of dirt, wax and whatever else on it - a sanding will do it good.

Reply to
nothanks

Seldom isn't never.

When we lifted the lounge carpet and found parquet we wanted to save it. Previous owners hadn't - and had slopped paint on it :(

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Hmm.. Our TV lounge has pitch pine parquet. The rug was rolled back for my 21st. birthday dancing and the soft pine damaged by stiletto heels.

Been carpeted ever since. I wonder what the new owners will do.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Steam out the dents?

Reply to