Wireless light switches?

Due to a lack of foresight, the switches for our outside lights on our new extension aren't where I'd like them now.

Rewiring and resiting the switches would be a major job and I wonder it there is such a thing and a battery powered wireless remote switch that could be fitted into a standard switch box (I really don't want a handheld remote that will get misplaced) which would then control the lights via a receiver that replaces the existing light switches.

Does such a thing exist?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Not quite, they do not have batteries as they are powered by the energy used to press the switch

ARWadsworth

Reply to
PeterC

:-))))

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Something like:

with one of:

used to sell them (and loads of other variations). Dunno if they still do.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Cheers. That looks like just what I'm after.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

ARWadsworth ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) wibbled on Sunday 23 January

2011 13:44:

"Harvesting ambient energy" they say - wonder if they are scavanging a bit of EM from the rest of the wiring?

Either that or it's sucking the Earth's Aura and Guiya is going to get mighty pissed ;->

Now you can really sort out people who don't pay you on time - turn all their lights on at 4am ;->>>

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Downie :

quite what you're asking for because the receivers are bulky but you might be able to fit one out of sight somewhere. The transmitter will fit in a (deep) box or you can just dangle it in a cavity if there is one. You can use a switch that exactly matches your existing switches, or even (as I have) use one half of a two gang switch where the other half is wired conventionally.

I've had a couple installed for I guess about five years now. They've worked well and I'm still on the original batteries.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

They seem to have stopped stocking the range now however over the past couple of months I've seen them selling off what stock they did have for silly money so it's worth checking out some of the local stores for them (note: they're in the electrical aisle, not lighting).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I've got a set, works fine. First set I bought I did manage to blow up though by wiring incorrectly!!

I think the one I do have switches a bog standard incandescent bulb, not sure how effective it would be in an "energy saver" as the radio transmitter needs to be permanently wired in line with a current flowing to the light bulb.

Not cheap, but certainly miles better than chasing out the walls would have been for me. Got mine from B&Q about 2 years ago, had no issues with it.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Too soon to praise the product but full marks to the company for their customer support. I phoned their support line and it was answered within 2 rings and I found myself talking to a very helpful chap who was able to tell me which units I needed to switch CFL bulbs and which dealer had the best prices for their product at the moment.

Fingers crossed that they work as hoped!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Now BTDTGTTS. Should have read the instructions more closely! I dunno why but I got it into my head that it was a simple switching relay (I was told I needed the HE 304 as I was using CFLs) but of course this model actually povides the power supply. Wiring it into a lighting circuit with an existing live feed wasn't too clever.

Once replaced (and wired correctly) it works perfectly and I'm very happy with them. I would certainly use them again in similar circumstances.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie