Remote control light switch?

Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.

I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home, Androis App, IOS App.

Does anyone have recommendations?

I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time. An Android App would be fine.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Supplementary: Internet Connection Required!

Why?

I just want to connect locally to a light switch, not route everything through a cloud server which may not be there next year (looking at you, Google)!

I do not require to be able to work the light switch when away from home. [Although that is an interesting concept if you have security concerns.]

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Your spoken command goes half way round the world to be "understood" by alexa or google, which sends back a command to your local device to turn the light on, some devices require a hub, others just use a normal google/amazon smart speaker, if you want full local control without the cloud, you'll need a local device such as HomeAssistantYellow or HubitatElevation

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not unreasonable. I have the same desire...

I have a selection. Most use some cloud thing called TAPO which you can then link to the above mentioned apps.

Phillips HUE Bluetooth.

Most of the android apps rely on a cloud connection. Some Philips Hue lights can connect over Bluetooth. e.g.

There is an Android app, or you can buy a switch to control them...

(Screwfix don't seem to have that one so Amazon link)

they can also connect directly to Amazon Echo devices.... ... you can get plain white or colour ones...

No problems Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Two way pendant switch over the bed connected to the lighting circuit. Easier in a bungalow as you can wire it up in the attic.

I once did a similar thing to switch off the telly before remote controls.

Reply to
Max Demian

That reminded me of my childhood bedroom, where the only electrical 'outlet' in the room was the light fitting dangling from the centre of the ceiling. It ended up having a whole Christmas tree of adaptors plugged into it, plus a dangling pendant switch.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I think all the app ones work over the internet to some extent. I know the £3 ones they sold in Poundland a few months back were a bit flaky at losing their wifi signal.

If you want privacy then a direct wireless switch would probably be simpler

or

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

You can get ones which are both ‘Smart’ and RF ( 433MHz) via a second switch, which can be a fob or resemble a wall switch.

There are also RF only ones.

Just search for remote light switches on EBay or Amazon.

We have a few Smart ones, set up to work with Alexa and Siri.

Reply to
Brian

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In the old days, they made a key-fob transmitter, and a wall-outlet receiver. The transmitter just sends a pulse at the garage door frequency, to turn the light on and off. No Alexa. No microphones. No Internet Connection.

In terms of packaging, they also make the same gadget, but in terms of wall-mountable items. The lamp can be on one side of the room. A "rocker light switch" looking thing, can be located on the other side of the room. You wire mains to the rocker switch, to deliver

50mW to the transmitter in the rocker switch. This eliminates the need for coin cells in the key fob. Instead of the key fob, there is a light-switch looking thingy, that sits next to your bed. That's not very flexible though, as you can walk around with the key-fob. But you can also lose the key-fob, or the battery in the key fob can go dead. This is a "remote light switch", the difference being, that no wire has to run between the two units, but, both units need mains power, where ever you locate the item(s).

Leviton RF - - -> Leviton Wall-Plate Receiver --> Lamp Remote Module ^ ^ | | Mains power Mains power

The BSR X-10 in the old days, used to communicate with remote wall-mount modules, via power wire signaling. That's another way to do it, without an RF component. The receiving module likely had an "address" (DIP switches), so that one controller, could control multiple lamps through out the house. One of my friends had his place entirely lighted with these. Just nuts.

X-10 X-10 --> Lamp Controller Module ^ | ^ | v | Mains power - power-line-signaling - - > Mains power

But with Google, it can be hard to find some of these older, less sophisticated concepts.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

How do I replace the current wall switch with that?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

if you get a smartplug 'preflashed' with Tasmota Software, then you can control it locally with some Android apps, or your web browser etc. I guess Theo will be along shortly to tell you more,

I recently bought a couple of Athom smartplugs from aliexpress for < £20, eg:

There's a process to set them up on your home network and configure IP address etc.

You can also control these with Home Assistant if yuou were to go down this route at some point.

Reply to
jkn

Just realised that my original plan to replace the wall switch with a remote control switch has one major flaw. Most (single way) light switches are one wire in and one wire out. They just switch the live (I think) from the light fitting. As such current will only flow with the switch turned on. Remote control light switches seem to need live and neutral to the switch (not unreasonably). I was looking for a solution which didn't involve any rewiring. I don't fancy channelling out the wall and also lifting the floor in the loft to upgrade the wiring.

I assume I could look at a remote control light fitting which has the wall switch permanently on to provide power.

Or I could get a head torch.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

There seem to be loads of LED light fitting replacements which come with a remote control. There is nothing to say that they won't just fit in standard wiring - a ceiling rose (my very rusty memory) should have power in plus switched in out. Has anyone used one of these?

Most seem to be garish Chinese and may not have replaceable bulbs.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Just get a smart bulb, and control it via wifi from your phone? You'll have to leave it "on" at the switch permanently.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We used one for our granddaughter's bedroom when she stayed with us. Got it from Wilkos (bayonet or E27 fitting). It had many colours, and could cycle through them or dim/brighten as required. But it was really more of a nightlight as it wasn't bright even when fully on in white.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

This is said to be as bright as a 60W incandescent bulb when used in white:

Jeff Layman

Or a long stick by the side of the bed with which to poke the switch on the wall. It's how I used to change channels on my push-button TV before they invented remote control.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Lots of no-neutral ones around.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have a cheap chinese LED light fitting (approx £14) which is a 280 cm diameter panel type, with no changeable LED bulb, that just need the two wires from a ceiling rose* and it has a remote control.

with blue backlight strip

The remote can switch between 3 colour temperatures of 3000K, 4000K and

6000K and some intermediate steps, and can dim the light.

If the pre-existing wall switch is left in the on position the remote can be used to turn off/on the light. When the light is switched off, either by the remote or via the wall light switch, the previous settings of colour temperature and brightness are remembered.

In my application I don't use the remote and switch the light on/off in the conventional way with the wall light switch.

The remote is cheap and nasty/flimsy but works.

  • There is no room for a connection if an existing ceiling rose is left in place so it has to be moved to some kind of junction box stuffed above a ceiling. My light is a surface mounted light fixing. A fixing bracket is mounted to the ceiling and the panel slides into the bracket.

One gotcha with this light is that you will possibly need some heat shrink over the in-line connector they supply and/or over your connection to the ends of the bare wires to the light fitting. There is a short length of cable moulded into the light fitting for the mains connection.

Other brands have a better connection scheme but may also require an existing ceiling rose to moved to an above ceiling junction box.

Reply to
alan_m