Remote Control Switch

I have asked this question to a newsgroup or two in the past with no luck, but I figure with technology changing, maybe I'll get lucky now.

I have lights mounted on the outside of my house just below the roofline (2 story house with attic). I guess these would be called flood lights since they light up the yard from their mount on the house. There is one wall switch inside the house that turns on these lights. The thing is that often the time you need these lights the most is when you drive up to the house at night (house is in the country, so unless there is a bright moon, there is no other light source except these lights).

What I am looking for is a wireless remote control wall light switch. In the past when I asked this question, some people have noted that they thought that a garage door remote could be modified for this use (since garage door remotes often can turn on the door opener and/or a garage light switch). I pursued this angle at a few garage door dealers, but they said that this use was not a feasible use of their equipment. A motion detector light is not feasible either since these lights are all on one circuit and there are about 10 lights around the house.

Does anyone know of a company that sells a wireless remote control wall light switch? Such a solution would work great since the remote control unit could be kept in the car and the lights could be switched on when needed and then simply turned off using he wall switch when the house has been entered.

Thank in advance for any advice.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Gray

volts500

Rob Gray wrote in news:1Xf0c.21891$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Just saw that thing at home depot. Remote works up to 50' away I believe. It was in the outdoor lighting section, with the motion detectors.

Reply to
lowspauld

In industrial controls there are limit switches.

See Eaton Electrical Limit Switches at

get an idea what they look like.

The switch lever with the roller can be installed at and activated at any position by the garage door.

Reply to
Klm

What, you never heard of x10.com? Or Radio Shack has their Plug'n Power version (not sure if IBM still sells their version). These are all compatible remote control modules (including wall switches). Wireless remotes are available with either a key fob with 2 switches or larger remote that can control up to 16 modules. Not sure what the wireless range is, but the module with antenna downstairs (which allows control of other modules) works from remote upstairs.

But check total watts of the lights involved. 10 lamps may be too much for a wall switch module (even if just 60 or 75 watt bulbs). Besides an appliance module, there is a heavy duty appliance module.

Reply to
David Efflandt

You realy have not done any reasearch...... For 20 yrs X 10 has been the coolest set up. I have a set up that when i pull in the garage the x 10 motion detector turns on the garage lights, that garage unit digitaly through existing wires turns on 4 more sensors one in the house to. so you drive in to a LIT house and yard. And inside units can turn them all off. Every GM and probably other makes that have the built in garage door openers can also be programed to interface with X 10 . And maybe even regular door remotes. They dont tell you this as they want you to buy their equipment , What BS ... My Caddy DHS I programed the door opener [ built in with 3 buttons ] 2 extra buttons to controll X 10 lights so i turn on or off outside and interior lights. Even the Caddy dealer didnt know it could be done.. Yes x 10 is cool and computer controlable to. One outside sensor can control 8 additional units - be controled and has a multitude of settings . It honestly took me many , many days to plan and learn the system as i needed it but i have a fully automated system from car - before entry to indoor dimming and sound warning of activation to motion recorded time event vcr + DVD event recording . There isnt anything you cant do with X 10 . Radioshack , Cadilac GM , and most any Pulse Binary aftermarket system can be adapted, Alarms- Remote monitoring- water- heat - motion - any sensor in any combo could be controled from your car or bedroom using wireless handheld or AC powered wireless ..... X 10 its been around a long time ... Just seal outside sensors where the wires enter and dont even approach the rated limit for watts , their RELAYS are crappy

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding Radio Shack, I have described to clerks in their stores a few times what I was looking for and was told that they have no such product. For that reason, I'm not confident that Radio Shack has such a solution. As to the "X10.com", I've been to their site and I think I could get the lights to be controlled via a remote control if I set up an elaborate home wireless setup. I'm just looking for a simple, remote contol wall switch though, not something very elaborate.....

Reply to
Rob Gray

Reply to
Rob Gray

Thanks for the respnse, but as noted in my post I am not looking for a system using a motion detector. I want one that uses a remote to turn on the lights...... If a motion detector could be set up somewhat easily to work on an existing circuit with many lights already installed, then I might go that route, but the motion detector units I've seen work on a single light system....

Reply to
Rob Gray

Thanks for the response. I've been there before and they have things that are sorta/kinda what I want, but not anything that does what I want specifically.... Thanks for the idea though....

Reply to
Rob Gray

to get an idea what they look like.

Cool site, thanks... I'll have to dig into the specs at their site more to confirm that these switches are wireless and remote though. To me it was not clear from the specific page whether or not they are, but it is a good start. I don't want a switch that is mounted outside though, I'm looking for a wireless remote speciically. From a quick glance, their product looks like a switch that is wired and mounted outdoors.... ... Thanks again!

Reply to
Rob Gray

Thanks fo the advice. I'm looking for a single remote to control a single switch, not something to turn on and off things throughout the house, but I'll check those places again. Maybe they've come up with new stuff since I last visited....

Rob

Reply to
Rob Gray

Try the "ceiling fans" area of THD or Lowe's. I bought one of these 10 years ago, I would think they still make them.

It's a "fake" wall switch that's actually a transmitter, battery holder, and what looks like a common ivory wall switch. It's made for relocating a light switch in a room where you don't want to start rewiring through walls, this entire box surface mounts, it looks like a shallow Wiremold box.

Anyway, the -receiver- end of this thing gets wired into a junction box in the circuit where you can access the wires going to the light fixture(s) typically in the basement or attic. you flip the "dummy" switch on the wall and it xmits to the receive unit and makes the actual connection there, and the fixture is enegrized.

Only thing you might do diifferent is invest a buck in a metal "utility" box and cover plate with rounded corners, so the original mounting box doesn't damage your car interior if it gets tossed around.

You would need to isolate the intented light fixtures and feed them from the indoor receiver, but that sounds like it would be the easy part.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Just checked the X-10 site. They still have a live chat connection. Why don't you ask them if it could be set up as you want? The only problem I can see is the range of their key chain remote, about 100 ft. In my Buick the built-in remote, as someone else described, extends the range to about

200 ft down the driveway.

Reply to
Martin

There are remote appliance modules that can handle 20 amps. Same as the X-10 modules.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Only thing is that this is rated for 350 watts of lighting only, which means that whole string of flood lights on one circuit would likely be overloading it. There are ways to get around that (either isolate and control 2 or 3 key fixtures or rig up some sort of relay situation to control the whole circuit, but I have no idea of your preferences)

This allows you to still use your indoor switch to turn them off, something I overlooked in my previous reply. Same deal with the "remote": throw away the "supplied drywall screws" and buy a nice rounded corners electrical box for it.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

snipped

I just bought a new home and the craftsman garage door opener was lost in translation. So I went to sears and bought a new opener for my truck. This remote has 3 buttons. Big one is programmed for the door and button #3 is programmed into a plug in device that will handle 600 watts. Really designed for a lamp but I am sure you can figure it out.

Sears also had the coolest wall switch. It has a motion sensor on it. I open the garage door and the lights automatically turn on. Leave and they turn off.

Spent right about $100.00 for all three devices. Now I know your saying that you do not have a Craftsman door opener, which is built by Chamberlain. There is a "Clicker" remote that does the same thing, just get the one for your garage door. I am sure they are using the X-10 or similar technology.

I can drive up in the day time open the garage door. At night I pull into the drive way and push two buttons. Lights on inside and out. This should be your solution...

Reply to
SQLit

Here is exactly what you need...cost $25.99.

This includes outlet for plug in lamp or anything else.

If you must have a wall switch to go with it, add

for another $12.

Total cost with wall switch under $40. If that's too high, then you really don't want it bad enough. Nothing cheaper that I know of. There is no wall switch with built in RF receiver.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Ransley, how did you program your GM buttons?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

I have the three button setup on a Buick. I used the remote for the grage door to programthat one, then the wirelyess remove for the X-10 to program the other buttons. It reads the signal and duplicates it. There is a Home Link web page that should describe it better. Or your owners manual

Nice to be able to turn lights on from the car if you come home late.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski