Ceiling Fan for Low 7.5ft Ceiling, is it possible?

Hello - We would like to install a ceiling fan in our den which is approx. 15 x 8. The problem we have is the ceilings are low, approx.

7.5 ft. and maybe lose another inch or so due to carpeting. My question is can we safely install a ceiling fan with a ceiling that low. Of course we would not be able to attach a light fixture to it, but we would make up for that with some end table lamps in the room. I understand there are certain types of "low Profile" ceiling fans, but didn't know if these were for this kind of situation. I guess, is there some standard height we should ensure the fan does not go below to be safe or in compliance with any type of code. Thanks for all your help. Regards.
Reply to
Pinball4Fun

Yes, there are -- we've got some in a renovated sunroom. Ours came from Home Depot. You should find info on the side of the box that shows whether fans can be flush-mounted -- without a downrod -- to provide maximum clearance.

We had ours installed to be used with remote controls. In retrospect, we would have preferred they be controlled by a wall switch --

Regards --

Reply to
JimR

would like to install a ceiling fan in our den which is

Thanks Jim - Appreciated....I'll need to go for the remote or pull string as well since I was told the wire going to my existing ceiling fixture is not a "3 wire". Regards

Reply to
Pinball4Fun

My ceiling fan is an a ceiling that is about 7'8". It has a light fixture. From the carpet under the fan to the lowest point on the light fixture (not counting the pull chains for the light and the fan) is 6'5".

My floors are hardwood, and the carpet I mention is shag area rug, so might not be as thick as a "real" carpet, but even if another inch were lost, that would be 6'4".

As long as I don't stand in the middle of the room and try to take my shirt off or juggle, I'm fine (I'm 6'1"). :-) And if this were a problem, it would be easy to solve by simply putting a table or something under the fan, so as to prevent standing right under the fan.

Reply to
Tim Smith

I highly recommend against using a remote. The damned things don't last and then you'll end up rewiring your fan back to stock configuration anyway when you get tired of not being able to control it. Just use the pull string and be done with it.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Flush mount fans work. I have low ceilings and like you said, don't put clothes on or off while standing under a fan :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

How long don't they last?

Reply to
Meat Plow

You have to make sure the existing box can support the fan. If you are not sure, it is probably not.

You should be able to find a fan and light combo that will work with

7.5 ft
Reply to
Terry

I wonder when you bought the first one. I have two, one is a hand held remote, the other is mounted in the wall box that originally had the switch. These are both about 9 years old. They are Hampton Bay from HD and I have not had a bit of trouble with either.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

They're good for two or three years, then they become intermittent. There's nothing more maddening than waving a remote and having nothing happen. Changing batteries in the remote don't generally help, either. They just get weak over time, even with fresh batteries.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

By the way, I just finished a protracted search for a low-profile ceiling fan and found that Lowe's had a much better selection than Home Depot in the flush-mount models (and neither had a very good selection compared to dedicated fan/lighting stores).

Jo Ann

Reply to
hillacc at yahoo.com

The lowest profile I could find was the Universal Hugger Series by Craftmate. Without lighting fixture, from ceiling to tip it's, I believe 8 inches, maybe 9. I attached the website. I called a few lighting stores and they all seemed to say this brand when I mentioned needing a low profile. Although they are more costly than what some of the box stores carry, but very nice.

Pinball4Fun

Craftmade, not Craftmate...sorry :)

Reply to
Pinball4Fun

Interesting thread for today I returned two solstice ceiling fans to Lowes ... could not be flush mounted, delivered with parts missing, delivered with globe broken ... I'll try craftmade.

Thanks.

Terry wrote:

Reply to
nospamplse

It's your money but for my money, I have been quite happy with fans from Wal-Mart.

I have two that have a "night light" as part of the base. They come with

3 or 4 bulbs holders (depends on model/size) and also have a plate that can cover the opening if you don't want/need anything other than the "night light" which is just 3 or 4 7 watt lights under a "frosted" plastic base.

Perhaps in the fullness of time I might be able to get more light out of the base by replacing the lamps with LEDs

They are EXACTLY what we wanted and yet we haven't seen the design at Lowe's/HD at any price.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I have seem one of those remote-control fans that had the remote permanently mounted on the wall. That's like having a wall switch except you have to change batteries, and you get the unreliability of wireless when you don't need it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Most of the ceiling fans I use are some (flush mounted) I got on sale (I guess not many people were buying fans in September) at K-mart a few years ago. All are still working, and are even quiet enough to use while sleeping. They come with installable light kits, although the fan looks OK even if you don't use them.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd