Track Lighting w/Ceiling Fan?

Is there any type of ceiling fitting that will accomodate feeding a track lighting system and a standard type of ceiling fan?

In my kitchen, I want to replace a 48" fluorescent fixture with a track, as well as including a ceiling fan. I am not interested in a light fixture mounted to the bottom of the ceiling fan. I am also not concerned with the list dispersion (or lack of) that track lighting provides. There will be task lighting installed under every cabinet.

TIA

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I've never seen one. There are track fittings made to hang chandeliers from, but I doubt there is a track that could support a fan

Reply to
RBM

Wayne Boatwright wrote in news:Xns9E45AD9118D2wayneboatwrightxgmai@198.186.190.71:

I would be afraid of a need for twice weekly cleaning of the fan blades. A little dus on the blades and they will catch any microscopic grease or fat or oil particles rising from a stove or oven, and be dirty in minutes.

Reply to
Han

While I can appreciate the thoughts of cooling down a hot kitchen, my personal experience is that the kitchen ceiling fan blows papers off the counters and cools the food prematurely. As a result, I seldom use it.

You might consider using small 7" clip on fans that you can aim right where they can do the most good. I have these spread around my house and use them to good effect.

Not what you asked for but you ought to at least consider it.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

You could use one for power and hang the fan independent, but most common fans aren't made for that kind of mounting.

The easiest solution would be to install a remodel box a few inches away from the existing location so the wire pull is easy from the existing box. Install either a basic remodel box to feed the track end, or a fan rated remodel box for the fan as appropriate based on what the existing box is.

Reply to
Pete C.

2wayneboatwrightxgmai@198.186.190.71:

I have a ceiling fan in my kitchen and it is not that bad. Sure, you have to dust it occasionally, but I'm tall enough that the simple two- step mini ladder that is already shoved behind the fridge to help get down the seldom-used stuff from high shelves is sufficient to make it easy. I don't notice any more buildup of goo than in bedrooms etc.

nate

Reply to
N8N

On Sun 05 Dec 2010 05:57:01a, Han told us...

We generally dust all of our ceiling fan blades weekly. Since we don't fry in our kitchen, I doubt that greasy/oily buildup wiuld be a problem. I've had ceiling fans in kitchens before with no soiling problem. Logistics in this kitchen don't allow for too many options in mounting without it looking jerry-rigged.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 05 Dec 2010 05:51:26a, RBM told us...

I know it's probably unlikely, but I'm still hoping to run across something.

I had considered using a Wiremold fan mount surface box over the existing box, then connecting track on two sides of the box. Not the perfect solution, but I think itmight work.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

replying to Wayne Boatwright, alice betts wrote: My son found some very small fans that attach to track lighting, but it was several years ago and I can't find them now. These small fans can oscillate or remain still, and then can be used with or without the lights. I put them in my narrow kitchen because all other fans were too wide and would hit cabinet doors if they happened to be open. You can add as many as you wish (I have 2) and they slide right into the track. Great idea, but now I can't find them. Think my son bought them at Home Depot, but I've checked there and they know nothing. If you can find them, please let me know because I'd like to add one to my bath.

Reply to
alice betts

replying to Wayne Boatwright, alice betts wrote: Several years ago I purchased just the fixture you are describing and recently wanted to purchase another fan fixture for my bath. I have searched the web and spoken to customer care reps at Home Depot (where I bought the first ones) and the unit is no longer manufactured. It was a tiny little fan that would fit on most any track lighting and cools my kitchen. Great idea....but no longer available.

Reply to
alice betts