kitchen lighting: track system with pendant lighting

Hi all

I am going to renovate our kitchen and have been looking into lighting. It seems that recessed spotlights are popular nowadays, but have come under criticism for being too directional to give uniform illumination to the room. Also I'm a bit loathe to tear up the floor above the kitchen in order to install the wiring for the spots. I'm looking for a way to give reasonably uniform illumination to the kitchen. I'm thinking of installing a system where the lights are mounted on a track or steel cables. Most of these systems involve spot-lights, which comes back to the problem of non-uniform illumination. However, I have come a track system that has pendant lighting which is probably less directional than spots:

anyone reading this used this product and has any comments? Any alternative ideas?

thanks in advance

Julian

Reply to
noos999

Not used that exact system, but we have the ASS 1 circuit system in our kitchen, with effectively 8 lamps, and it is flexible enough to provide illumination exactly where needed. One caveat though, the fittings can get pretty mucky in a kitchen environment, so be prepared to take them down and wipe them at least four times a year.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
clives

Offline so haven't looked at that URL, but any "professional" mains track system (as used in shops) will have a flex adapter as shops need to be able to attach illuminated display cases to the system.

Pendants don't have to be hung vertically below the track - you can do a loop of flex through a hook.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Many thanks for the helpful replies. I just came across the following cable system which would be perfect as the lights are non-directional:

is they are a US company so are 110Volt. I've just sent them a mail to ask if it is available in a 240 Volt version but I'm not that hopeful..

Reply to
noos999

Theres also the forerunner of the track system, a central rose with flexes coming out going to each light, with each light hanging on a hook. Flexible and gives a spider effect.

US fittings wont be upto it, the problem is safety standards not voltage. A slip of card just isnt considered adequate insulation from mains voltage here. And there are various other safety problems with their stuff.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This is what I was concerned about, I think I'll have to avoid that product. Also the dealer in the US mentioned potentially having to put wooden blocks in the wall to take up as the cables are under quite strong tension. Idon't like the idea of having to go to these lengths...

Reply to
noos999