Nice track lighting for kitchen

Need a recommendation.

I like the idea of LED but am open to options

would like dimmable.

I looked at one LED setup but it said it takes two minutes to turn on...not sure if I like that idea...but a slow warm up like CFL is OK

Reply to
philo

LED is not heat source. It turns on instant not like CFL. Use LOT less power, lasts long time, dimmable. Many fixtures to choose from at lighting store. We just replaced all incandescent pod flood lights with daylight LEDs.

75W down to 12W each. Wife likes it.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

An LED requires about 2 volts . Though the heat an LED produces is negligible, the problem is in the self-contained power supply.

That is what produces the heat.

Guess we will just go to the store and have a look, thanks

Reply to
philo

Wrong.

The source of the heat is the semiconductor junction of the LED. No heat to speak of on the surface of the plastic part where the light emits from, but significant heat from the junction. Look at the heat sink on an LED bulb. Look at the heat sink on high-power LED flashlights. Vehicles with LED headlights often use fans for cooling the lamp, or they need an elaborate passive heatsink.

The reason so many LED lamps use multiple LEDs is that it's so difficult to bleed off all the heat from a very high power LED. The junction is very small and you need active cooling for very high power LEDs.

Good article about this here: . Read the section "Thermal issues in LED lighting."

Reply to
sms

My experience with LED's goes as far as pilot lights which produce no heat...thanks for the correction on those used for lighting.

Reply to
philo

Yes, that's where the misconception comes from. Indicator lamp LEDs are totally different.

I recall in the bicycling Usenet group someone was extolling the benefits of LED lights and he was thrilled that there was no "white hot filament." True enough, but that was replaced by a very hot semiconductor junction which is even harder to cool than a white hot filament in a hot bulb. Obviously he didn't understand anything about semiconductor physics and junction current and temperatures (Tj). Sadly, he claimed to be a physics professor at a university!

There's no free lunch here. There is heat, a lot of heat, to deal with in both LEDs and incandescent sources. I was just looking at LED car headlamps afer the last incandescent bulb I put it lasted only six months. The problem with them is that the rating for hours that they last is pretty low. Some models have little fans for cooling, some use metal braiding out the back and explain that you have to be sure that there is clearance for the heat sinking.

Reply to
sms

However, the amount of heat possible from an LED is limited compared to that in an incandescent source, as the dissipated heat is a function of the VA applied to the device. A 7watt LED lamp will produce much, much less heat than a 60watt incandescent.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Now that's for sure...

Reply to
philo

philo posted for all of us...

I received a catalog from a co called Econo light or similar. They had it in and I saw a dusk to dawn light I might get.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ended up getting halogen, only had time to put one of them up today...\ it's real nice and was not expensive

Reply to
philo

philo posted for all of us...

Good hope you make out well and thanks for the follow up.

Reply to
Tekkie®