Ceiling fan, light for low ceiling

The ceilings in our bedrooms are barely 7' 5". In several rooms the previous owner installed low-profile ceiling fans with lights. The fan blades are 7" from the ceiling at their lowest and the light globes extend to approximately 14".

The master bedroom doesn't have a fan or a light. Because it's a larger room, the ceiling looks even lower than it does in the other rooms. I want to add a ceiling fan, we need more light, and I'd love to create the illusion of a higher ceiling. These are three separate issues but if I can address more than one at the same time, that would be great.

I really don't want a central ceiling light because I think they create glare and I'd be looking at it while reading in bed making reading harder than it already is. I found a fan with an uplight which I think would add light without creating glare (esp. diffusing off a flat-finish white ceiling) and add to the illusion of a higher ceiling. However, the blades of the fan extend to 12" below the ceiling (just 6 '5" off the floor).

I'm now thinking I'll get a ceiling-hugging fan with no light at all and worry about light another time.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Christopher Nelson

*Put in a flush mount fan only. Install recessed lights for general illumination.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Our son's house has

Reply to
Nonny

Yeah, that's kind of where I was headed.

Reply to
Christopher Nelson

I can see that. Most of the fan will be above the bed and we usually get dressed in the walk-in closet.

Well, I really *do* *not* want a light there but thanks.

Reply to
Christopher Nelson

Use a shorter pipe (drop down pipe ?). Replace the original pipe with a shorter one, located in the fan section at the store.

Oh, a shorter "Downrod"

pic:

Oren

I have a flush mount fan in my bedroom and use two torch type lights that have dimmers in corners to light up the room. Works fine for me.

Reply to
trader4

Yeah, that's kind of where I was headed.

I agree as well, just be sure to keep the recessed lights far enough away from the fan blades to prevent a strobe effect.

Reply to
RBM

Low-profile fan, and some upward-pointing sconces high on walls, bouncing off ceiling. The right fixtures, and they will be glare free. Or go late50's retro, and put a band of wood as a valance around the top of drapes, and put lights in there.

Reply to
aemeijers

Might feel like living an an old movie...

Reply to
Larry Fishel