Pouring a driveway

I am going to be helping a fried widen his driveway. The part we are going to be adding will be about 48 feet long and 6 feet wide. He wants to pour it

4" think, since that is what they rest of his driveway is. Do we need to use rebar, or can we get away with using some 10ga metal mesh?

Thanks for any advice...

Reply to
S Casko

Are you parking anything on it? If so I would use the mesh, and drill the edge of the existing concrete every 8-10 inches 3-4 inches deep and put some rebar in the holes. 12 inches long Also put a piece of rebar down the outside edge. Might even do a turndown on the outside edge. Like a shovel width and inch or two deeper. Never know when your buddy will come over with the 2 ton truck that is loaded. Certain areas require termite spray when disturbing the soil. I would use at least 3000 psi concrete. Have fun

Reply to
SQLit
6x6/10x10 wwf (re-mesh) is not a reinforcement for concrete. It serves to keep the cracked concrete together to reduce separation and uneven settlement. There are some suppliers that contend that fiber concrete is equivalent to WWF.

Rebar reinforcement raises the strength of concrete if applied correctly.

For your driveway job, I would concentrate on subgrade compaction; thicken the edges with a single #5 bar reinforcement; and create construction/control joints every 6' to keep the pavement sections square.

wants to pour it

we need to use

Reply to
DanG