remote control ceiling fans

I need to install a remote control ceiling fan. HD has unit but the controls are add on and make wiring a nuisance. Does any manufacturer make these units with a built in controller instead of add on? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
sligo

Yes they do make them with the integraged controller. The bad side is that the remote electronics replace the regular switches so if it breaks you have no more fan.

Why do you find it to be a nuisance to install the add-on unit? It takes about 30 more seconds to hook up the three additional wires and slide the controller in the housing.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Seamus,

Check out the Gossamer series of Hampton Bay fans. They are designed to be super energy efficient, which means that they have: 1) shaped blades like one finds in an aircraft propeller providing >40% more airflow at the same wattage 2) a remote control and a motion sensor that can be programmed to turn off the fan after a certain amount of time without activity in the room.

Bottom line: it's designed as a fan should have been designed in the first place. Check it out at the Florida Solar Energy Center (part of Florida State, I believe):

Available only at Home Depot and, alas, not in sizes less than 52". Hence, I'm now looking at a StratoJet at
and trying to figure out how to hook up a remote control to it...

Andre' A.

Reply to
aangel

One thing nice about these remote fans is you don't need to install a wall switch if one does not exist. If one does then you need to install the one they provide. Just make sure you buy the fan that fits your application. If no wall switch then wireless remote, wall switch then remote that takes the place of existing wall switch. And you will need battery!

Rich

Reply to
Evodawg

Reply to
sligo

The receiver does not need to go in the box. They are designed to fit in to the canopy area of the fan sliding between the "ball" that the fan hangs on and the mounting bracket. All you have to do is slide it in place and then slip the canopy up over it.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I hate to be so vague about it because I can't remember the model but my experience with one of these wasn't happy. Trying to control the fan with the remote was sporadic at best. I finally removed the unit and just use a longer pullstring now.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reply to
sligo

I bought a Hampton Bay with a add on remote. I first tried to stuff it between the mounting bracket that the ball hangs in and the canopy cover. Try as I might, it would not fit. Just as I was ready to take it back, I decided "what the hell, I might as well read the directions". It slides in between the bracket and the box that the bracket bolts to just like it was made for it. Imagine that!.

CR

Reply to
CR

OK then find another one that will fit. I have four of them installed here in the house and they all fit perfectly. The fifth one came with the fan that is designed only for remote control and it is exactly the same unit as the ones I added on to the four other fans. The controller side is a black slender box that slides right in to the housing.

Home Depot shows 56 remote control fans in their catalog. If you have them in your area check the web page to see their offerings.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

This is Turtle.

he wants you to come over and do it for him !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE