Remote Control Appliance Switch

I need a remote control switch ? I have a new printer with an inaccessible power switch. (I can reach but partner can?t.)

If I am going to get one ? I might as well get two, or three or even four. (I really can?t see my needing any more than that as an absolute maximum.) That would allow a couple of other ideas to be implemented in the near future.

Looking around I have seen lots of possible devices. I went off X10 (largely due to cost and possibly giving way to something else in the future). So really looking at the proprietary ones.

From what I have seen the Domia Lite range look OK. So I am thinking of getting a remote plus two (or three?) appliance switches.

Anyone care to suggest another make? Or even another approach? Or a competitive online supplier?

Reply to
Rod

B and Q had 3 switches and single remote control for £14.97 reduced from £24 ish - today sorry nomake remembered

Reply to
Ageless

Will killing the mains allow it to shut down properly. Most go through a shut down routine when the Off button is pressed.

Reply to
John

I wondered that - but have been assured that it will be fine (apparently, the proper switch is just that - a mains switch). Inded, when I searched old posts to uk.d-i-y, one of the references was to someone doing precisely this on a LaerJet (not sure which model).

Thanks for making the point. Even if it didn't work for the printer for some reason, I'd still want to try my other ideas out. And thanks, Ageless, will have a look at B&Q, but I couldn't find any mention of such devices on their (useless) web site.

Reply to
Rod

I couldn't find it either when I looked for the make but w only went to B&Q on saturday morning when SWMBO told me I saw them :-)

Reply to
Ageless

Are you looking for the type of switch which is on sale at Lidl next Monday the 17th?

PJ

Yes - I was. Damn, damn, damn.

Local B&Q had an over-priced Byron model but none of the Domia (nor any other make).

I eventually ordered online. Nearest Lidl is a pain to get to - at least it is during the hours they are open.

I also noticed that several models are only rated 1000 W (some only 300 or 500 or some such). The ones I have ordered are at least rated at 3000 W - so not as unhappy as I might have been.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Rod

Nowhere near as cheap, but Z-Wave products are very good and mor reliable and extensible than X10. Depends on how into the home automation you want to get really. Not a huge range available here in Blighty that is soon to change. I have a couple of light dimmer modules that I use a Harmony 895 (which I already owned) to control. Can be bought here:

amongst other outlets I'm sure.

Reply to
Piers James

Yes - I was impressed by the talk about Z-Wave - but far too little "out there" yet. (It was actually being convinced of how much better Z-Wave could be than X10 that convinced me to avoid X10.) And odd how you see Z-Wave devices that are CE approved and remotes that are not.

When they are sold by Lidl I will buy them :-)

Reply to
Rod