13A inline torpedo switch

All,

I'm looking for a 13A,, inline torpedo type switch; the type commonly available and in use on table lamps etc; usually 3A. Google; Screwfix and ebay have failed me.

I want to fit it on the lead for a five gang power bar, so that i can easily kill power to all the sockets. The bar is mounted out of sight, and although it has a switch, it is not (easily) accessible.

So.... does anyone know where I can get a 13 A one torpedo switch, or alternatively, suggest some alternative inline switch?

thanks, Michael.

Reply to
m__murray

I'd say an architrave switch in a surface mounted box would be a way - although not particularly attractive.

Dave Plowman (News)

Could you make do with an architrave switch? Do you have access to the plug at the end of the lead?

Paul Matthews

backing box though.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Use a remote controlled socket instead to power the 5 gang lead.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

m_ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com pretended :

Very unlikely....

How about a wireless remote control switch, or a five gang outlet with its own switch - you can even get them these days with a switch for each outlet, or plug the strip into a short extension and place its plug/socket where you can get at it. If you need it to be on and off at regular times, could you perhaps use a plug in timer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Agreed - I use the Domia Lite (more expensive but there was a reason I chose it).

Reply to
Rod

=A0 London SW

thanks; I had thought of a surface mount switch; and may resort to something similar. Its for a corner TV unit; I could maybe mount this on the top surface, behind the TV... was hoping for minimal 'damage' to the unit.

If no one makes a 13A torpedo, this will probably suffice.

thanks M.

Reply to
m__murray

jointed arms, about6 feet long.

thanks for the suggestion though.

cheers, M.

Reply to
m__murray

Adam,

thanks for the suggestion; the purpose is to reduce standby power on TV and supporting (DVD, digibox) equipment.

Remote socket would certainly work; but I think my preferred 'plan b' is probably a slimline surface mounted switch at the moment; although I do like the remote idea....

thanks, Michael

Reply to
m__murray

A plug in timer may work, but would mean that I couldn't watch TV on bank holidays ! ;-)

I have a corner TV unit with digibox, dvd, stereo etc on the same unit. Sockets are conveniently located behind said unit. I think I'll probably stick to the simple switch.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, Michael

Reply to
m__murray

bank holidays ! ;-)

I have a corner TV unit with digibox, dvd, stereo etc on the same unit. Sockets are conveniently located behind said unit. I think I'll probably stick to the simple switch.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, Michael

Just a suggestion - but have you checked the technical specs to see what the stand-by power consumption is? My 7 year old TV is only 0.7 of a watt.

If you switch off your Freeview Box will it have to re-tune when you switch back on?

Reply to
John

But if he is a Virgin Media customer, he is likely to have a box that belts out heat. Switching it "off" on the remote seems to do little to help. So we have our TV (unknown standby usage so savings might be very modest) and VM box on a Domia Lite remote switch. We do have to wait something like 3 minutes as it boots up - but that we try to do a little bit ahead of wishing to watch.

And I also have some other remote switches for my PC upstairs (can use remote desktop from downstairs which allows me the benefit of a reasonably fast PC from my modest laptop), for the printer (again upstairs), for lights in the living room - works a treat.

Reply to
Rod

The remote will, of course, have standby power consumption too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

0.3W according to

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

quoted text -

Rod,

Indeed I am a Virgin customer. DVD player has been known to be left on playing the intro loop overnight which can't help power use either.

For anyone stumbling across this thread in the future; I have been sent a link to a 10A in-line, which should be plenty... thanks to Roy for this...

m__murray