Remote light switch

I have a customer with a somewhat surreal lighting system in her flat.
Two main rooms - a lounge & a bedroom. No light switch in the bedroom and a two gang switch in the lounge which operates both lights. Its the other side of two door ways away from the bedroom IYSWIM.
Not practicable to wire in another switch for varicose reasons.
Is there a remote control she could use? I've seen one where the remote replaced the switch but cant remember where I saw it or if it worked on a two gang switch.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

snipped-for-privacy@familyfrench.co.uk says...

Use a pull cord switch.

I have though about that (sorry should have mentioned it in the post), but would prefer the wireless option if possible
--
Chris French

says...

switch
I'm not

lying
post),
I bet that there has been wiring for a switch in the past. I'd get a cable tracer / metal detector and search round the (door none hinge side) for evidence. It wouldn't surprise me to find rolled conduit that you could pull through.
AWEM

in this situation I'm pretty sure there isn't, though I did think about it - my cable detector is still stashed in box in the garage right now, and I'm not lifting the bedroom carpet until I have to.
however, it seems that wiring for most electrical stuff was first installed in this house in the 1960's - when it was sold in the 1960's in had been in the same owner ship since the 1920's and still had the range in the kitchen, gas lighting etc.
The previous owners bought it in 1983, I spoke to them about it when viewing the house and they said it had not been there when they bought the house, and they understood it hadn't been wired it at all.
Certainly no evidence of the old rolled conduit anywhere around the house.
--
Chris French

snipped-for-privacy@familyfrench.co.uk says...

How about using a relay? You could put the switch on a bit of bell wire and tape it down the corner of the wall. I know it's not wireless, but the wireless method seems like overkill to me.
chris French wrote:

http://www.eurobatteries.com/sitepages/wireless-light-controllers.asp ?
wireless lighting switch in Google turns up lots of possibilities.
I think it's a brilliant idea, personally, because you can put the switches anywhere.
Si

Most would put the main one somewhere accessible from the doorway. ;-_
--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Um...you could have a spare one somewhere.....
In your pocket? Um...
Si

Nope - down the side of the settee as always. ;-)
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

In uk.d-i-y, chris French wrote:

I'd look into X10 products. When I was looking for a solution to a similar problem some time ago, I came across remote controls that are designed to be stuck to the wall and look like (American) light switches, rather than being hidden down the back of the sofa. I can't tell you exactly *where* I saw them but Google should help.
It would be easier, and probably more convenient, to have this remote control operate your existing free-standing lights - no need to install a ceiling light. Prepare for a loud "clunk" whenever you switch them on or off, though.
--
Mike Barnes

You are probably thinking of this... http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/552
You will also need one of these to convert RF X10 to mains borne X10... http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/495
Then you can use lamp or appliance modules on table lamps, such as http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/468 http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/469 http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/461
and professional X10 wired-in modules to switch fixed lighting, such as http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/476 http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/477 http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/481

Appliance modules use relays and can handle larger loads. Some of the lamp modules use triacs and can dim the load.
BTW, I have no connection with Cyberselect -- it was just the first website I could think of which lists all the X10 parts, and I have used them as a supplier.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Shouldn't stop Evil describing you as a spammer...;-)
--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

chris French wrote:

One of those sound activated gizmo's? Clap your hands twice, or mutter "let there be light!"?

Looking for disused cabling as suggested sounds a good idea though you might find (if it's victorian) it's old unusable stuff (which you might if lucky be able to use to pull through newer). I'd scout around in the floorboards above to find out what kind of cable it is.
-- Adrian C
chris French Wrote: > for some odd reason the sitting room in our new (to us) house doesn't

> the

> switch

> not

There is a product called Easy Switch on page 21 of the latest Contact Electrical (TLC) catalogue which is exactly what you're after. Their website is www.tlc-direct.co.uk
John
--
jaylott

On 2007-09-17 16:07:00 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

http://www.letsautomate.com/10956.cfm ?&
Andy Hall wrote:

Thanks Andy, but no requirement for a dimmer and at those prices it would be far cheaper to run a cable. When I said not practicable to wire in another switch, I should have added 'at a reasonable price'. The cost of a transmitter & reciever seems to be damn near two days of my labour!
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
On 2007-09-19 22:55:55 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

I think that the manufacturers assume that if they are going to implement all the RF gubbins then people will probably want a dimmer as well.
The X10 stuff may be a little cheaper perhaps.
message

flat.
bedroom and a

other
remote
on a

Dave, do a search on X-10 home automation controls. There is a unit that goes behind a switch plate, and another that controls a light. Control is by impressing a switching signal on the mains. I have some of the 13a variety - one turns my kettle on every morning for the last ten years for my morning brew <G> (There is also an X-10 system that uses rf)
AWEM