Wireless slave light switch

I've had a quick search through the uk.d-i-y archives and the net in general but couldn't find exactly what I want.

I would like to be able to put in an extra wall light switch to control an existing ceiling light from a different location to the already-existing conventional wall switch (get that?). I don't want to have to re-wire, so what I want is to replace the existing switch with an electronic one that is switchable at the switch (e.g. by touch) and also switchable by receiving a wireless signal from another switch placed elsewhere. That other switch would be a stick-on type that just acts as a "dummy" switch to control the other switch which in turn controls the ceiling light.

I've seen remote wireless "stick-on" switches that control a plug-in appliance by way of a 13A plug-in unit into which the appliance plugs, but not ones that control other wall switches like I want.

Are they out there, and if so, where ?!

Many thanks. Mike

Reply to
Michael Brewer

B&Q sell infrared light switches, might not be exactly what your looking for but worth a look. It replaces your existing light switch and it has a touch sensitivity button with an infrared sensor in the centre. The remote looks like a small TV remote with several buttons for controlling several lights.

If you could be persuaded to re-wire then get an Intermediate switch, then you can have as many switches controlling one light as you like.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Better still would be a small unit that could sit behind a standard switch faceplate and do the same thing. That way, you can ensure that the faceplates match in style with the other wiring accessories.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

There are X10 "micro modules" that do just that, but they are very pricey still.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Would

at the wireaway help?

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Perfect! Just what I was after --- Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Brewer

That looks really interesting, and I was on the point of thinking my problems were all solved, until I read the instruction leaflet, which points out that you can't feed fans in parallel with the lights. I should have realised this, especially if I want to have dimming.

Perhaps the fan will have to have a separate manual switch. Any takers for optical fan control triggered by the light level? Suppose that would run it on a sunny day :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon