wireless light switch

Needing a quick fix to avoid chasing out walls and ceiling...

Does anyone know of a wireless light switch setup that:

- looks like a normal lightswitch (or fits into an existing one)

- does not have a bulky receiver/transformer at the light, ideally a device that plugs into a bayonet which the bulb can plug into in turn

I only want to control one light, on/off so ideally want a pure RF switch rather than a set of 3 X10 products.

any help gratefully received

Thanks a lot, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thanks for the reply Benjamin. It's not really what I'm after though.

My problem is that I have a problem with the wiring between a ceiling lamp and the existing light switch on the wall on the opposite side of the room.

The ceiling lamp has power but there is no continuity to the switch.

I want to install a wireless switch on the wall in the same place as the existing switch and install a receiver at the lamp to switch the lamp, rather than chase out and redecorate.

sorry if I was not clear before.

Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The "Easy Switch" system works with 13A sockets or fixed wiring, not bayonet fittings, but it works very well and might be adaptable for your purpose:

have those in use in two rooms, for table lamps. The switch looks perfectly normal (it's actually one half of a normal two-gang switch, with the other gang switching the ceiling light in the normal way), and it works normally, apart from a split-second delay and an audible click from the receivers (not as loud as X10, though).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Firstly, how come the ceiling lamp has power? Surely the live wire to it must go through that switch. In which case maybe the switch is faulty and should be easily replaced. If there is a problem with the wiring is it safe to leave it like that?

Secondly, if the wire needs replacing it may be possible pull a new wire through by attaching it to the old wire.

Reply to
Nick

Light probably has power because its wired in the 3 plate system common in many house....

Full feed at every light then drop a switchwire from each light to the switch.

I agree on the latter... i did house bashin for years, its amazing where you can get cables if you put ur mind to it, lol.

Neil

Reply to
Neil D.

unfortunately, the type of wiring already in place is Pyro (MICC) so I don't think I'm going to be able to pull new wire through, more's the pity!

seems like options are running out:

- chase out and redecorate ceiling and walls

- have odd and ugly conduit on surface

- miracle product to save the day...

pyro is supposed to be resilient with problems usually being the end connections. I had the light checked by an electrician though and that was the verdict.

Reply to
Andrew

Use a ceiling-mounted pull-cord switch?

Owain