Wireless switches for lights - recommendations?

We want to install some lighting in a summer house and it seems to us that some sort of remote wireless switching would make sense as the switches are going to be a *long* way from the lights and it will be difficult to hide the wires.
There is a 'proper' mains supply already installed with a sub-CU with 6A breaker for the lighting. (With an RCD main switch). The lights we want to control will probably mostly be 12 volt LEDs with a transformer to supply them.
I did a quick Google Shopping look for 'wireless light switch' and there seem to be a bewildering variety of them, how do I choose?
Are there standards such that different makes will interwork or is that a faint hope? I'm quite happy to D-I-Y from quite low level stuff if that makes sense from the price/function point of view. I buy and build quite a lot of electronics stuff from Rapid Recall, CPC, etc.
One set of lights will (probably) be operated by a fixed 'switch' on the wall in the summer house but others might want more distant (50 to 100 metres maybe) operation with a plip type remote.
Any/all recommendations and ideas would be very welcome.
--
Chris Green
·

My cheap [4 for £15] 13A plugin ones from Aldidl work but need retraining after a powercut. And a neighbours system turns the lights on 2 or 3 times a year. Range over 10 metres through a window to an aluminium greenhouse. They won't work if two receivers are close together in a double socket, I don't know why.

I bought one years ago and it’s worked faultlessly ever since. It appears to be a discontinued brand however so that’s not hugely helpful to you I know. (“Home Easy”).
If I were buying again I’d go for one with kinetic switches (no batteries needed) instead although I’ve never had to replace mine in the last 8 or so years.
Something like this.
Wireless Lights Switch Kit,No Battery No Wires No Wi-Fi Required,150feet Operating Range,Easy to Install,Remote Control Lights Ceiling Fans House Lighting Lamps,Replace Wall Switch Can Mount Anywhere (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

I doubt most remotes would work over that distance.
--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Our garage door opener remotes do, pretty reliably, and they presumably use the same 433MHz sort of technology. I was just hoping/expecting light switch remotes to be similar. This is outdoors, line of sight, no obstructions.
--
Chris Green
·

On 14/03/2019 11:51, Chris Green wrote:

The Quinetic ones are very good and can get 1 2 or 3 switches in a standard wall plate. Sold by TLC and possibly others. I tested one from the bottom of my garden to the road which is about 180 feet. They don't lose sync during power cuts. Fairly easy to open up and modify say for momentary action such as turning on the heating.
Bob

The obvious thing to use there is the Philips Hue system.

That’s all you need with the Hue system.

Makes more sense to use 240V bulbs and led strips now.

A system that does all you currently want to do and what you might well want to do there in the future. And which you can use in the rest of the house later as well.

Zigbee is that.

Nope.

It doesn’t with function anymore.

Hue is ideal for that situation, there is even an entirely mechanical switch which doesn’t even us a battery which needs no wires at all and which can be placed anywhere. It uses kinetic energy to send a wifi signal to the base.

Hue is ideal for that situation. Not cheap tho and doesn’t currently have any LED panels. Amazon periodically has well discounted specials and you can use any of the european amazons too. Don’t use amazon.com tho for any of the mains powered bulbs.
On 14/03/2019 19:29, Rod Speed wrote:
<snip Hue sales pitch>

You were doing well until this point.
<snip more Hue sales pitch>

I'd prefer to call it mechanical rather then kinetic energy, without further information. But perhaps he was suggesting that Wifi was not really an appropriate radio protocol for the purpose?
--

Roger Hayter

All the makers and sellers of them call them kinetic for some strange reason.
--
Chris Green
·

wrote

That’s because that’s what they are. They don’t use the static force of the finger on the button, they use the movement of the button.

But the energy supplied is nothing to do with the speed of the press. The energy provided by the finger is force times distance moved. This is not kinetic energy at any stage, or if it is, only internal to the machine. The energy supplied by the operator is not kinetic energy.
--

Roger Hayter

wrote

Yes, that’s just used to generate a small amount of electrical power.

Wrong with an electrical generator that uses the kinetic energy.

Wrong.

Irrelevant.

Wrong. Just as wrong as your claim that zigbee isnt wifi.
On 15/03/2019 23:03, Rod Speed wrote:

Explain what kinetic energy is?
It shouldn't be difficult unless google is beyond your ability.

Zigbee is a complete protocol stack and a form of low power, low data rate radio communication. You can call it wireless if you like.
Wifi is a name given to a specific standard IEEE 802.11, you can call it wireless if you like. BTW, Wi-Fi is a trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
Only an idiot would confuse the two as being the same.

Just to help the discussion along, that sentence is complete gibberish. Zigbee is a low-level protocol used for wireless links. The high level information needed to implement the button action is sent as a zigbee message and the zigbee is decoded and the high level message passed on to a NIC in the receiver which sends the same message to the LAN (perhaps, from what you say) but no way at all is *zigbee* operating over Wifi. In fact if the zigbee receiver is plugged in then the higher-level message never sees wifi, it goes straight into an ethernet packet.
--

Roger Hayter

On 16/03/2019 11:47, Roger Hayter wrote:

I concur with everything you say. Zigbee is designed primarily for battery powered low data rate applications. It is one of the few standards that includes the radio hardware.
The only time I have come across Zigbee in my work has been in utility meters where a gas meter could talk to an electric meter which of course has the power to retransmit over GSM etc.

Changes nothing.

Irrelevant to the fact that it runs over wifi with a Hue system.
And trivial to prove that by turning the router off and discovering that the Hue switch being discussed no longer switches anything when the buttons are pressed because the Hue base doesn’t do wifi, the router does.

Doesn’t have to.

Irrelevant to the fact that with a Hue system, its done over wifi.

Use of kinetic energy would be use of energy from slowing down something that's already in motion. Turning a handle or pushing a lever is simply 'work' as in force x distance.
--
Chris Green
·

wrote

And that’s what happens when the finger presses the button. You need to press the button a bit harder than most buttons.

But pressing it with your finger isnt either.