Flashing light switches

I need a light switch which will flash when it's on & stop flashing when it is switched off (i have altzheimers & forget to switch certain lights off.) The lights in question are not able to be on the smart lights system as they are sealed units.

Reply to
Babs

I'm not sure about the flashing part. Look for a pilot light switch or an illuminated light switch. One potential problem is you would need a neutral wire in the switch box. It's possible there isn't one already there. Why not get a spring loaded light switch? Twist the knob to set it for, let's say, 20 minutes. It will automatically shut things off after that 20 minutes.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I don't know all that much about Alzheimer's. How would a flashing switch help you remember as opposed to a lighted switch, which are pretty common?

This illuminated switch does not require a neutral.

For a smart switch solution, look into the Caséta line of switches from Lutron. They make a few smart switches that do not requite a neutral. I've used them in my daughter's 90 YO house. It's been 2 years and haven't had a single issue.

I think that a PD-6WCL might work for you. It's a dimmer, but it can be used as a simple On-Off switch. No neutral required and compatible with most smart home systems (Alexa, Ring, Google, etc.) You will need a smart bridge though.

You can even add a wall mounted remote (Pico remote) and create a 3 way switch set-up without pulling any wires.

Marilyn Manson

Not all illuminated switches require neutrals.

In addition, some of the smart switches in the Caséta line from Lutron don't require neutrals either.

And hopefully not create a dangerous "plunged into darkness" situation. :-O

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Maybe some LED night lights scattered around here and there could be part of the solution.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

But that switch is lit when on and when off. The poster wants one that blinks when the switch is on, as an indicator. A switch that was at least lit only when on might meet his needs. When I went looking for that some years ago, I couldn't find any, all were designed to be lit when off, so that you can see it in the dark, not as an on indicator. And that's because like Dean says, it's simple and easy to make those without a neutral. I couldn't even find one that used a neutral, I just gave up.

Reply to
trader_4

"Switch remains illuminated in the OFF position, so it is easy to locate in a dark room"

That's not an indicator switch, where it's lit only when the switch is on. It's just an always lit switch so you can see it in the dark.

Reply to
trader_4

You are correct. I'll admit that I didn't explain myself very well.

I was mostly asking how a blinking switch would be different than a lit switch from an Alzheimer's perspective. I was thinking that maybe an illuminated switch would be enough of a reminder from a visual perspective to help the OP. I can certainly see how my post didn't convey that very well.

Perhaps my suggestion to look into the Caséta line of switches from Lutron will be helpful. It sounded like the OP has a smart system so maybe a schedule would help.

Lutron also has a motion sensing switch that doesn't require a neutral which I will suggest to the OP.

(I just spent a few days with a family member who is suffering from Alzheimer's. My first real exposure where we had conversations, etc. It was tough. There is still a lot of the original person in there and she came through every now and then, but I understand that those episodes are happening less often now. The one bright spot, which may sound strange/inappropriate is that it's actually pretty funny to hear her argue with Alexa. My SIL has a monitor set up and even she laughs when she hears her mom arguing with Alexa and threatening to sic her dog on her.)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Maybe a motion sensing switch would work for you. Lutron makes one that doesn't require a neutral.

Marilyn Manson

Now that sounds like an idea.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There's no difference between:

- Why is that light switch on and - Why is that light switch blinking

to someone suffering from Alzheimers.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

One might speculate that the OP knows their situation better than any of us.

If you don't mind, I'll wait for the OP to answer my question.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Several of my relatives have suffered from, or are currently suffering from Alzheimers. It's a horrible disease.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

For once we agree.

The Alzheimer's Association explains my point very well:

"Alzheimer?s disease typically progresses slowly in three general stages: early, middle and late (sometimes referred to as mild, moderate and severe in a medical context). Since Alzheimer?s affects people in different ways, each person may experience symptoms ? or progress through the stages ? differently."

In addition, Alzheimer?s is a specific type of dementia and a person can have more than one type of dementia at the same time. That makes a lumping all sufferers together a fool's errand.

Yep.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson