Wing mirrors on cars

Did he lie upside down painting ceilings or did he just tell others what to do? Working upside down deserves credit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My Golf Turbo diesel had a turbo which worked evenly from 2000 rpm upwards.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp ... Variable-speed (in F8F-2, unified with throttle via AEC automatic engine control), single-stage single-speed centrifugal type supercharger"

There is a turbo variant - the type 73/77 - and out of over 15000 aircraft built only 700 are listed as using it.

The B-17 -

"Wright R-1820 Cyclone ... Nine-cylinder single-row supercharged air-cooled radial engine"

In the list of 40 or so variants, only two are turbocharged and these are not the most powerful.

However, when I look up the B-17 from another source, it is listed as having 1200hp engines, which happens to match the turbo versions.

Yes, I had agreed on that one. One comment is that "The P-38 was unusually quiet for a fighter, since the exhaust was muffled by the turbo-superchargers." This is a suggestion of something unusual.

That is not the confusion.

So this thread has prompted me to look deeper. It is a sign of maturity to inform or correct without making comments like that.

Reply to
TMS320

Sistine chapel (the creation of Adam all that)? That was Michelangelo.

Do you even history bro?

Reply to
soup

Doesn't interest me.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Interests you enough to reply. Or do you just have 'reply Tourettes' ?

Reply to
soup

Learn to quote context or f*ck off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why ?

Reply to
soup

So I know what you're referring to.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So I know what you're referring to.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I am referring to the "doesn't interest me"[1] nothing else; no wing mirrors, no tyres, no turbochargers

[1] And the fact that you were interested enough to reply to a post with "Doesn't interest me ".
Reply to
soup

You quoted nothing before "doesn't interest me", so I couldn't see what didn't interest me. Learn to use a newsreader then come back.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Do the arithmetic. I did.

A 2-litre 4-stroke running at one atmosphere boost, 6000 RPM is a round

10kW.

I'm sure that's not the most you could get from its exhaust.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Unlike Boltar you have the references. I'd never heard of that.

And it gives us some useful numbers. They are able to recover 20% of the engine output from waste energy in the exhaust.

But there definitely are aircraft turbochargers in the modern sense. See my earlier reference.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It really doesn't matter what (supposedly) doesn't interest you, merely that it interests you enough to post an (ironic) "Doesn't interest me" post.

Reply to
soup

We know one beneficial effect of a turbo is noise reduction. Against the arguments about a turbo taking power away from the pistons it is necessary to wonder what effect the silencer box has on an engine. Rather than "waste" the energy in a silencer, it is bound to be better to extract it in mechanical form.

There doesn't seem to be any definitive information about what a silencer actually does but a quick scan suggests about 5% is taken off maximum power and that back pressure is actually beneficial/benign at lower outputs. Which suggests there is useful potential.

Yes, I realise now that I have looked deeper into aircraft specs.

Reply to
TMS320

If you can't tell me what you're talking about and referring to, I can't be bothered with you. Learn the basics of newsgroups then come back to play with the adults.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I am referring to you 'saying' "doesn't interest me", nothing else.

Similar to your "can't be bothered with you" and yet you continue to answer.

Oh and I am not replying to your "play with the adults" so have snipped that . Get the idea?

Reply to
soup

So lets see it then.

Reply to
boltar

Perhaps you don't understand the difference between a turbine compressing intake air and a turbine directly driving the crank.

Reply to
boltar