Which way to get Broadband?

Yes, sadly they charge more at non LLU exchanges.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Don't think either offer the equivalent of BT's Total Care on "their" lines.

AAISP have "Enhanced Care" (BT also have a care level of that name, I haven't checked on equvalence or not between the two). Trouble is as you have no contract with BT directly have to go through AAISP support which isn't 24/7 (BT is). It also costs £12/month, BT Total Care is £4/month.

AAISP 12 + 12 = 24/month line only (no telephony service) BT 16.19 + 4 = 20.19/month full service line

£16.19/month comes from BT Line Rental Saver of £194.28 for 12 month s rental up front no refunds.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah, we are 4 person, two teenagers, one has just come back home, internet use has doubled from just under 100GB to "you better cut back or it'll go slow" 200 GB. She's off again now so we can drop back to 100 GB.

Still makes me wonder how anybody can cope with the 10 GB caps imposed on the first 3 months free then £7.99/month for 12 months "hook" tariffs.

It would be nice to be able to have FTTC... the line does go through a fibre enabled cabinet but it's about 3 miles away. VDSL has more or less collasped to ADSL speeds over that distance. Roll on Phase 2, maybe a FTTrN will appear within range, or FTTPoD will get a sensible install/rental price structure.

We get a line fault about once a year, mostly they kill the POTS service (no DC loop) but the ADSL can just get across the gap being RF. Goes slow mind Sure, I can see for some people that's worthwhile, and I can see that

Not so much where but what the line is. The first the mile or so from here back towards the exchange is aluminium and is a nightmare. Fractures in the jelly beans when moved, sometimes the wire drops out and the linesman remakes it but sometimes it doesn't and we get the fault as described above.

MMDV. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

People like my mum probably.

single person, uses it mostly for general webby stuff. email shopping etc.

Doesn't really use streaming much - bit of iplayer radio catchup probably about it.

Reply to
Chris French

Cunning plan;)

Next time you see some pikeys around;, OK tinkers, then tell them that this cable in that duct contains Unobtainium metal and its worth a fortune and as they look poor and hard up and done by then you don't want any commission.

Sorted:)....

Reply to
tony sayer

Reply to
Capitol

Slight snag cable isn't in a duct but armoured and direct buried. The plan could backfire as well, it may be Ali but's it's one of the heaviest Ali's that BT installed, .75 mm dia (.44 mm^2) roughly double the CSA of copper. Ok it's bit unreliable but the ADSL performs on the high side of good for the distance from the exchange. I think it would be a close thing if they swapped the heavy ali for lighter copper...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That 11 KV line you have all those problems with well hook one end over the cable the other over the other end and chuck a large lump over the then line stand well back and perhaps they underground will burn out;)

Else many volts down the line and burn out a few pairs when they have no usable pairs left;-)....

Else a few holes drilled thru here and there along its length you need to be imaginative Dave;-!!

Reply to
tony sayer