Rural broadband speeds

This is not OT. Comms is a DIY matter when, like me, you are trying to improve lamentable speed by filters, wiring etc. The government has proposed three levels of improvement to the broadband system. Only one level would help in rural areas. Up to now I have been resigned to poor speeds. Now that urban speeds are set to rocket, services will change to use them and soon rural users will be right out in the cold. Wouldn't be so bad if I paid a lot less!
I have written to Ofcom and attach the text below. Is anyone else interested in offering an opinion to Ofcom?
Text of letter...
"I live in the country and have very poor broadband speed, at around 750 kbit/s. Each time I do a speed test I see what speed people get who live in the towns and cities. I have done all of the recommended things to improve it, but it is clear that it is simply distance from the exchange over copper cables that is the problem.
"Doing a speed test today set me thinking about what should be done. The speed I get is just about acceptable for the uses to which I put the Internet. I won't be able to use any of the new services, but I am resigned to that. However what really annoys me is that I pay exactly the same as people who get 4 Mbit/s or better.
"The government talks about action to improve speeds. I note that of the three proposals the one that would improve rural speeds is the last option and, of course, costs the most. The hardened cynic in me knows that this is put in as a sop, to make it appear that it is being considered. You and I know there is no intention of this being done.
"So what is to be done? The only way that things change in the business world is for there to be a threat to income. At the moment there is no commercial pressure to spend and improve. In fact ISPs and BT benefit from the situation because their cables have to carry less data but they get the same money. Creative solutions are needed and money is the driver of these things.
"I think that anyone who gets regularly poor speeds should get a refund of subscription in the same way that railway companies have to compensate lateness. Even better, they should get a much lower rate to start to start with. You really do have to do something and this is one simple and effective tactic. If it meant that ISPs refused to accept rural connections then the situation would be out in the open!"
Peter Scott

Lucky you. About 50% quicker than mine, then.
BTW, you've two chances of this making a difference - slim and none.
--
"Please try to understand, the one you call Messiah is a lie."
[email me at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

This is one of the consequences of choosing to live in a rural area
I suppose that you would also want the same level of mobile phone coverage, bus services, and shopping facilities, as urban areas do
Would you give up the lack of congestion, lower crime rates, lower car insurance premiums, cleaner air and the other benefits of a rural environment to get your higher broadband speed
You pays your money and you takes your choice
And yes it is off topic and should have been posted as such
Tony
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:10:14 -0000

<snip>
The point is that even if we wished to pay more to get the same service as the poor townies, granting that the costs are higher, we can't 'cos the infrastructure can't support it.
As for Mobile Phones, I for one, am really pleased that they don't work here. My brother sends me texts, and once a fortnight or so, I get into a region when I can receive them.
As it happens, I'm in rural Cumbria, and get 4500kps on my broadband even though I'm 6 Km from the exchange. So I'm happy, but I sympathise with Peter as until late last year my max was 1700kps - Buttocks Telecom then improved the lines for unrelated reasons.
And it's not Off Topic, as I do my own telecoms wiring - which is a major contributor to my fantastic broadband speed!
R.
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:29:34 +0000, a certain chimpanzee, TheOldFellow

I live in a suburb of one of the 'core cities'; we have high crime levels and the insurance premiums to prove it; I live less than a mile from a motorway junction yet it takes ten minutes to get onto it in the mornings; the bus takes forty minutes to get into the city centre. On top of that, my broadband connection struggles to get 2Mbps. It sounds like I need to move to the countryside to get better communications and a lower cost of living.
--
Hugo Nebula
Hugo Nebula wrote:

Yup.
We live a mile from the village shop and petrol station. And the surgery.
Our local hairdresser comes by car and cuts our hair for a fiver.
I get 3Mbps broadband.
It took a few years to get the exchange enabled though.
To 'enjoy' city life I have to drive 25 miles, to get ripped of fo parking, and spend the last 20 minutes of the 40 minute journey, getting from the outskirts to the center. Breaking my suspension on speed humps all the way.
I pay just as much council/income tax as the city, but get zero back for it.
Fortunately. I don't want speed humps, chicanes, street lights, gay day centers, or anything like that.
The water that falls on thelad here is ultimatley drunk my teh good citizens of teh downstream towns. We don't charge them for it. The barley and wheat that is grown here comes the milk, the beer, and the vodkas drunk by those cities. They don't even pay enough to make it profitable.
I can buy a lamb or a half pig, butchered for 100. In the supermarket it tastes of nothing, and cost 3-4 times as much.
But it does come wrapped in plastic waste.

Doesn't have to be

Certainly not. But I would not expect to be riding in a slow open cart and still pay the same fare as on a fast heated bus!

I'm not complaining about the benefits of living the country, expensive though it is. My point is that I pay the same for a poor service, that it is technically possible to provide a higher speed service to rural areas, but that there is no commercial pressure to do so.
The threads we have had about improving broadband speeds in the home by filtering and rewiring mean that this is a problem for DIYers. I was pointing out that there are perhaps other things that we can do as well.
Peter Scott
Peter Scott wrote:

There are not.
It's entirely - in the limit - down to the length of wire to the exchange.
make it shorter, make it fibre, or replace with microwave link, and you can get more speed.
All of those cost more money than you are willing to pay.
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:00:25 +0000

No-one ever asks us if we are willing to pay for it. They just refuse to even offer it.
R.
they were saying:

Bollocks.
They "refuse" to offer faster ADSL because of the limits of the technology.
They "refuse" to offer cable, because new cable hasn't been laid _anywhere_ in the country for YEARS, because of the back debts from laying the last lot.
You've been given links to faster rural broadband options, available today. But they're clearly too expensive for you. Oh, wait, you've claimed that's not the problem.
You'll get faster broadband at some stage, when BT's 21CN upgrades get around to you. But that probably won't be fast enough for you, because other people will still have better than you.
I bet you're a _nightmare_ whenever a delivery wagon pulls up outside next door, trying to see if they've gone a step ahead of you so you need to go and buy a newer/bigger/faster widget to stay level.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I didn't get asked when they chose to use aluminium instead of copper to our local exchange. The cost of _replacing_ it is high; the cost of doing it right in the first place would not have been.
Andy
Andy Champ wrote:

I thought the reason they DID use copper (in the 70's?) was because copper prices HAD gone through the roof?
Andy Burns wrote:

^^^^^^ aluminium obviously

They didn't know that at the time.
Much of Milton Keynes was wired with aluminium, and this apparently restricts broadband speeds quite severely.
saying:

Which is why MK is working towards city-wide(ish) WiMax broadband.

Thanks - I didn't know what the proposed solution was, just that the problem was quite severe.
Sorry for my ignorance, but please tell me, what is WiMax broadband?
saying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimax http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/19/milton_keynes_wimax /

That's great Adrian, many thanks.

I only live 1/2 a mile from the post office sorting office yet I have to pay as much as you to get a letter delivered
The white van man who delivers mail order stuff here does dozens of drops in a few square miles for very little time and fuel cost yet I have to pay as much as you for delivery
I do not think that it is fair that I should be subsidising your broadband as well
Think yourself lucky that you have copper wiring rather than the oxidising aluminium stuff we have round here
And just because I build my own wardrobes does not make it on topic to comment here on the cost of the clothes in them
If you want a better broadband try this
http://www.broadbandwherever.net/?gcid=S18514x001&keyword=Rural%20Broadband
Tony
TMC wrote:

From their description of the Pro-Range service.
"Our Pro-Range is one of the newest Satellite Broadband Products to be introduced into the UK market, and is fully RoHS Compliant( see FAQ's ). Using DVB-S standards the Pro-range offers both performance and reliability to those who can't get broadband via traditional landlines."
Very engaging to start mentioning RoHS in the first sentence!.
"Hell, it's RoHS! - I _must_ get this service!"
;-)
--
Adrian C