Which way to get Broadband?

Hi all, Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to change supplier, but to what? I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)
The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with a land line phone line included
I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!
This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk Talk or Virgin As I know very little about them any thoughts welcomed. Mick.

Try Orpheus Internet. I've just had Fibre to the Cabinet (100yds away) installed. My phone still comes the way it has done for years.
www.orpheusinternet.co.uk 01702 462385
No call centres - just a real, very friendly, person.
--
Please note new email address:
snipped-for-privacy@CandEhope.me.uk

And, unfortunately, like most smaller providers, expensive if you use down/upload much.
Not really a criticism as such, just a reality of the market
--
Chris French

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 10:39:11 +0100, Chris French wrote:

With the smaller providers you tend to get what you pay for though. Some have very heavy size 13 boots that they are not afraid to use. They also offer we'll fix your line within a month or you can leave and not owe a penny:
http://aa.net.uk/broadband-trial.html
--
Cheers
Dave.

Oh sure, and I was with A&A a while back, but I don't really feel I can justify the extra cost, probably £50 with A&A, when I get unlimited 80/20 FTTC from Plusnet for £20. Just cross my fingers and hope I never have to ring them :-)
Actually , had our first problem this week - some problem with the phone line took out the voice service. Fault was diagnosed via a fault reporting webpage, and it was fixed in 3 working days (which is down to OR anyway, and would seem to be a pretty normal time for a domestic line)
--
Chris French

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:11:04 +0100, Chris French wrote:

leave

On the units based tariff? Home::1 is £25/month flat rate for 100 GB download, use it anytime. Top up within a month £10/50 GB or in advance £10/100GB.

I like to know that when I call for help I'm going to talk to some one who understands the whole system and not start with "reboot windows", if I'm calling for help I'll be 99.999% certain that the fault is not in anything under my control.

ne

3 working days is pretty good for a residential line on Standard Care. Now report the same fault after 1800 on the Friday of a bank holiday weekend. The three working days doesn't start until Tuesday morning, so you should have it repaired by the end of Thursday.
Only 6 days without internet? I'd be hung drawn a quartered! Total Care, £4/month extra, faults repaired within 24 hours (daytime but once they've started they'll finish), 365 days of the year, inc Christmas Day etc. Last fault we had an "out of area" engineer was sent, he couldn't find/fix the loose jelly bean in a joint post a mile away even though I told him where the JP was. So he handed the fault back, Openreach then pulled an engineer, who knows the area, off a Job in Stockton (40 odd miles away) to come and fix it, which he did in about 10 mins, including checking the location of the fault with his TDR.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Actually more.
Our current usage is in the order of 400 - 500 GB month (4-5 person household - 3-5 including 2 teenagers around a lot of the day - the kids don't go to school , lots of netflix/iplayer/spotify/you tube/gaming/skyping etc.)
ok a chunk of that is uploads (remote online backups probably the largest single proportion of that) which don't count - but that is probably less than 100GB month.
So we would realistically be looking at least at Home::1 300GB - £45 + £15 for FTTC 80/20 as we have now - so- £60 month at least.
The units based tariff would I'm sure be more, since a lot of our use is in the daytime.
It's this sorts of useage which tends to make small isps expensive for us

Sure, but in 10 years in this house I've phoned my isp's support line once, some years ago. But paying £60 instead of £20 to get that better support that I probably will never use doesn't seem worth it for us.

We'd survive, though youngest would grumble the most :-) Though in case the broadband was unaffected. If we get desperate we can go round the corner to the library and use a computer or their wifi, or over the road to the pub for wifi.

Sure, I can see for some people that's worthwhile, and I can see that where you live, a fault on your line is a more likely eventuality than for us.
But we live in the middle of our village - probably less than 100m line length to our cabinet. In the 10 years this is the first time I've had to report a line fault (I think there have been a couple of times that the broadband has gone down for a short time -a couple of hours at most maybe - presumably when they were doing some work or other. We've never lost it for any significant amount of time)
For us, paying almost £48/year against an not very common, non critical eventuality doesn't seem good value, YMMV :-)
--
Chris French

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:33:15 +0100, Chris French wrote:

GB

Ah, we are 4 person, two teenagers, one has just come back home, internet use has doubled from just under 100GB to "you better cut back or it'll go slow" 200 GB. She's off again now so we can drop back to 100 GB.
Still makes me wonder how anybody can cope with the 10 GB caps imposed on the first 3 months free then £7.99/month for 12 months "hook" tariffs.

my

It would be nice to be able to have FTTC... the line does go through a fibre enabled cabinet but it's about 3 miles away. VDSL has more or less collasped to ADSL speeds over that distance. Roll on Phase 2, maybe a FTTrN will appear within range, or FTTPoD will get a sensible install/rental price structure.

tter

We get a line fault about once a year, mostly they kill the POTS service (no DC loop) but the ADSL can just get across the gap being RF. Goes slow mind <2 Mbps.

Not so much where but what the line is. The first the mile or so from here back towards the exchange is aluminium and is a nightmare. Fractures in the jelly beans when moved, sometimes the wire drops out and the linesman remakes it but sometimes it doesn't and we get the fault as described above.

cal

MMDV. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.

People like my mum probably.
single person, uses it mostly for general webby stuff. email shopping etc.
Doesn't really use streaming much - bit of iplayer radio catchup probably about it.
--
Chris French

Cunning plan;)
Next time you see some pikeys around;, OK tinkers, then tell them that this cable in that duct contains Unobtainium metal and its worth a fortune and as they look poor and hard up and done by then you don't want any commission.
Sorted:)....
--
Tony Sayer

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:29:58 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

from

out

the

Slight snag cable isn't in a duct but armoured and direct buried. The plan could backfire as well, it may be Ali but's it's one of the heaviest Ali's that BT installed, .75 mm dia (.44 mm^2) roughly double the CSA of copper. Ok it's bit unreliable but the ADSL performs on the high side of good for the distance from the exchange. I think it would be a close thing if they swapped the heavy ali for lighter copper...
--
Cheers
Dave.

That 11 KV line you have all those problems with well hook one end over the cable the other over the other end and chuck a large lump over the then line stand well back and perhaps they underground will burn out;)
Else many volts down the line and burn out a few pairs when they have no usable pairs left;-)....
Else a few holes drilled thru here and there along its length you need to be imaginative Dave;-!!
--
Tony Sayer

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 24/09/2015 21:11, Chris French wrote:

Plusnet are one of the better options if you have to ring them IME. They speak English for starters!

--
Cheers,

John.
On 25/09/2015 21:10, John Rumm wrote:

Yes, sadly they charge more at non LLU exchanges.
--
Michael Chare

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:45:26 +0100, Mick IOW wrote:

Firstly it seem like you have been hoodwinked by the marketing. "fibre broadband" is almost in variably Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) with your phone line making the connection from the cabinet to you.

FTTC service. Fibre To The Premisis (FTTP) might be available but if you are baulking at a POTS line rental you really aren't going to like FTTP rentals. B-)
One assumes you are also relying on a mobile for voice telephony. This might not be wise, very few mobile phone cells have any backup power. BT Telephone exchanges have big batteries and backup generators to keep services running in the event of a power cut. The FTTC boxes have backup batteries as well but don't know what up time they have.

If you know the satellite they use there are app for smart phones that will show where in the sky they are. Satellite is OK but tends to be expensive, have quite low data caps and latentcy approaching a second.
--
Cheers
Dave.

If you can get it from BT, then any other ISP offering fibre broadband will be able to supply you as well.
however, you won't get it without paying for a landline - (I assume you mean that you have a phone lien just don't want to pay line rental)

Have you looked at the costs and the performance - it generally only makes sense for people who can't get broadband via the phone line.

Sky isn't satellite, it is via the phoneline - what they offer/the cost depends on whether or not you exchange is unbundled (they have their own equipement in the phone exchange basically) TalkTalk similar.
Virgin only available if they have cabled up your area, as they use their own network.
Personally , at the moment we are with Plusnet - the service has been fine - but by all accounts it can take ages to get an answer on the phone from support - but then I've never had to ring them.
worth having a poke around the thinkbroadband forums:
<forums.thinkbroadband.com/>
Some good things have been said about pluse8, cheap landline rental with broadband and no contract:
<https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/
--
Chris French

On 24/09/2015 10:34, Chris French wrote:

If you want faster response, sign up initially as a business customer.
--
Cheers,

John.
Mick IOW scribbled

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems with speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs. Broadband hardware to your door comes from either BT or Virgin. There are no alternatives.

On 24/09/2015 11:10, Jonno wrote:

Or, as in my case, neither!