Undergound PMA supply - how to tell which phase ?

Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the signal would reach but the intervening house has had an extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one in each house ?.

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

They tend to get confused when passing through a CU, or in your case, two of them. Not to mention the length of cable between the houses.

Reply to
Davey

I doubt it very much. I believe they have a relatively limited range and equipment like meters interfere with the signal.

Probably much better to see if there?s any way of laying a data cable between the properties or using some sort of transmitter/receiver combination using external aerials.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Fit a second router in your house in a better place for long range? Like in the roof? That's what I did here to get decent coverage in the garden. Goes quite a long way, according to my phone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Andrew formulated on Saturday :

Unlikely to work, even if on the same phase. If on the same phase, there would be almost no voltage between your live and their live. Around 400+v suggests different phases.

If you can hack into a pair of wifi routers and have line of sight, you could add a yagi antenna to each, pointing at each other, to get access.

Might you be able to string a LAN cable along the fence between the two properties? You might need permission from the neighbour in the middle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's unlikely to work and an RCD would likely attenuate the signal badly due to the transformer.

What would be easier would be an external wifi unit, stick it on a pole in the garden, try to get some signal in their window - or get them to have a similar unit in their garden acting as a repeater, beaming through their walls.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, irrespective of phase.

Its simply too far.

Performnance would be appaling

Put a wifi thing in each window

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And Google 'cantenna'.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

In message , Andrew writes

Our house and attached shop share the same supply cable, split so each property has a separate meter etc. Extending the Internet access works within each property, but not 'across the join'.

Reply to
Graeme

unlikely...

Probably a moot point... sometimes by looking when fed from overhead, harder when underground.

Long extension lead and a multimeter placed between lives might be the easy way to at least see if its the same phase.

Reply to
John Rumm

Should work.

Try one of those mains-internet extenders.

Reply to
Josh Nack

I would also point out that if your broadband supplier got wind of it they would terminate your contract. Virgin say that any sharing has to be with their permission and I'd guess this would seldom be given. I suppose the intervening neighbour would not like to have a cable across his extension roof? Network cables are quit thin.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One other thought struck me. A very cheap broadband contract and no phone and use one of the cheap voip services where the calls and other stuff are much cheaper. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Look at contracts that include line rental, phone calls, broadband and mobile phone contract. Its very possible that by combining all these she could afford a basic broadband contract for not much more than just the line rental + phone + mobile phone.

Reply to
philipuk

Ask ROD he does it with neighbors (please no funny answers)

Reply to
FMurtz

Get a PoE outdoor access point and stick it in your garden where she can see it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That's not a bad idea. Assuming she has a landline from BT at £18.99/month show could switch to line and broadband from Plusnet for £19.99/month. OK I suspect it's ADSL2+ but it'll get her on the net with no useage cap.

Call packages are on top or she could use VOIP and port her existing number to the VOIP provider (she may need to port to Plusnet if she choose to use their phone services). She would need some form of VOIP kit. That could be a smart phone (doesn't need an active SIM, contract or PAYG) with an VOIP app (Zoiper, free and ad free), the mobile connects to the broadband via the WiFi router from Plusnet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Harry Bloomfield scribeth thus

Have a look here this lot have decent advice and offer the right bits;)..

tony sayer

In article , Dave Liquorice scribeth thus

If .. she has access to fibre, Vodafone are doing some deals around 18 quid inc line rental and for a 38 meg service..

Reply to
tony sayer

If she has no internet then BT line rental is now only £11.99.

Reply to
Robin