Undergound PMA supply - how to tell which phase ?

Actually there is an ancient ditch running along the bottom of all the gardens which was tile-drained and back filled with 40 mm cobbles followed by soil, so I might be able to dig down and use some drain rods to push/pull the cable through. Bit of a long shot.

BT use all their home hubs for public wifi anyway.

Reply to
Andrew

We are in a village of about 3000 souls, underground phone and electric lines, exchange about 1.25 miles away with nearest green infinity cabinet about 0.5 mies away.

No fibre access apart from Infinity.

Reply to
Andrew

That must be why every ones elses line rental is going up :-(

Reply to
Andrew

If you have one then that setting can be turned off which some people will have had done , so not quite all their Home Hubs.

Do any of the other providers offer a similar reciprocal service?

Our contract with BT comes up for renewal soon and I do find the BT WIFI service useful. Need to do lengthy stays occasionally at Mothers when she needs help with age related issues, My BB use takes her over what she is contracted for with her provider so exceeding it incurs extra charges .To avoid her nagging about that it is easier to use the BT WI FI signal that is present from somewhere close, it was rock steady for the whole month I was last down there and though supposed to be slower it was adequate to watch TV via I player etc. Good mobile signal is non existent so cannot use that method instead. So though it is fashionable not to go with BT I may well stay with them for that providing they don?t try to shaft us financially.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Then .. you do have fibre access it does not have to be via BT as a supplier!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes, Andrew just needs to go to:

and enter his details, and it will show if Zen can supply him.

Reply to
Davey

Er no, the first four letters of Openreach - "open". BT Openreach operate an open network, with equal access for anyone who wants to offer services over that network. Therefore you have access to any provider who offers services in your area. Be that BT, Virgin, Mrs Moggs Enterprises, ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This is true and should be automatic from April/May this year. Also "no internet" means no *fixed line* internet. Internet via a mobile doesn't count.

If useage is low, just a bit of email and web browsing, it might be economic to find a tarrif that allows tethering and ideally works on

4G in the required location, (3G is OK at push). Asda Mobile fits if you have decent EE 4G service where you are. They do data only bundles at reasonable prices. 4G USB dongle direct into into laptop/PC or something like the TP-Link TL-MR3020 if you want more than one device to have net access at a time.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have looked into this and apart from Talk Talk no-one else seems to have an offering.

Reply to
Andrew

Ah, I think your misunderstanding. Lets break things down a little:

The physical line and infrastructure is owned and maintained by Openreach.

There maybe Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) which, I think, in theory, means that the physical bit of wire from you to the exchnage is owned an maintained by a third party (say Talk Talk) though I suspect that in reality those companies contract Openreach to maintain/repair it. Those companies will have their own kit in, and backhaul from, the exchange into their networks. There are only a handfull of LLU providers out there and many exchnages have no LLU provision at all. I think this is the bit that has confused you.

All the above is basically the physical network. How you purchase the various services that are delivered over that physical network is up to you.

Obviously you need a physical line, so you need to pay someone for that, this could be BT Retail or another provider also reselling the line from BT Wholesale. You may then want voice service, again that could be from BT Retail or another provider and same with broadband. It's quite possible, if some what unusual, to pay one company for the line, another for voice service and a third for broadband.

Bottom line is the network is open, so if you can get Infinity from BT, you can get broadband from any provider offering FTTC services, A&A, Zen, Plusnet, Sky, etc, etc. Note that the service from any of these providers is carried over the same physical network, the link from you to the network will run at what it runs at regardless of provider. How the provider handles traffic within their notwork is another matter...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's the theory.

Our village network's first hurdle was when BT announced that the recently provisioned FTTC in the next village had used all the fibres, and they couldn't run a fibre supply for us to use as the head end for a village wifi network.

Unless we paid £5k (IIRC) up front.

(The killer was when they were just after that suddenly able to provision us properly)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

No theory about it. I can buy my internet access from any number of ADSL providers all of which would have to utilise Openreach to get their service to me. I can't buy access from VDSL only providers as VDSL is not available here.

But that's for the backhaul not end user connections.

Sorry, I'm having trouble parseing that sentance. You ask for a connection, they quote (£5k), you pay, they provide, simples.

Depending on what you buy alters the costings. A "leased line" is costed right back to the nearest "fibre exchange". FTTPoD is costed back to the nearest fibre node/joint. You pay for any new works, say a chamber and trench/duct to your property, and a distance related charge to the relevant "start" point. If they have to pull in another

40 km of fibre cable to get a feed to that FTTPoD node or back to the "fibre exchange", they'll do it but your don't pay the real cost of that.

Now you have an Village ISP, you could sell to anyone anywhere over the Openreach network, provided you buy the relevant interconnect into Openreach....

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That anything to do with Air Broadband do you know?..

How 'err odd;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I believe so.

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Occurs to me I may have said enough to identifiable to BT's lawyers. I'll shut up.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Well there you go as soon as any competition is around they bend over backwards to get everyone connected to fibre BB!...

Reply to
tony sayer