Landline conversion to digital

My landline operator has advised me that they will soon converting my line to digital and i will need to plug my home phone into the broadband router.

As i have several phone outlet points around the house will these become redundant or could i instead connect the router to the extension outlet circuit to maintain the connection to these other outlets?

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Feeding your extensions is called Voice Re-injection and there some notes on DIYing this here:

I believe there should be a faceplate on the market to facilitate that, but I haven't seen one listed.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

who is the provider?

are you actually getting FTTP at the point of changeover?

Have you already got a router with a phone socket on it, or are they going to provide one?

Yes you can do that, depends whether your extensions plug into the front of your master socket, or are punched down on to back of the removable faceplate?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thought ISPs were supposed (required by Openreach?) to provide (offer?) a new faceplate for your master socket when they switched someone to VOIP so you can feed into it from your router. I can't see you've anything to lose from asking your supplier.

More at e.g.

Robin

Presumably all these new fangled routers with a phone port will have enough 'umph' (75 volts at 17 Hz ?) to produce a REN of 4 ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

I have optical fibre to the home.

The fibre feeds into an ONT (Optical Network Terminator) which in then then feeds via a cable to a broadband modem, This modem has a telephone port on it.

I use a RJ11 to RJ45 adapter to then connect to my patch panel in the loft where 5 telephone lines are patched in. Each of these lines then feeds a secondary telephone socket into which a fax and 4 voice telephones are plugged into. One of these phones is also an answering machine.

If you have a lot more phones than I, then you may need a REN booster.

Reply to
SH

I ssupect they have forgotten about those old fashioned phones ;-(

Reply to
charles

I think so, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BT

No it is via FTTC which i have already, the impression i have is that this is an area wide conversion.

Yes

I'm not sure how the extensions are connected to the incoming line as i have never been able to find a 'master socket'. As it is a pre yr 2000 new build it may only be a single outlet faceplate.

The phones and broadband have worked OK so far just being plugged in to any of the extension points.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

In which case, the lead that goes into my current OpenReach box should fit?

The lead feeds my 4 extension PAX

Reply to
charles

Do you have one of these then?

SH

That version (with the ONT and BBU inside another case) is old-hat and no longer supplied.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No. At the moment we have FTTC. FTTP due in November/December. Currently the 2 outlet socket says 'Mk3'. The upper outlet feeds my modem/router, thenloweeer one is telephone.

Reply to
charles

Who is your supplier, and was it they, or BT Openreach who have informed you of the switchover ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

My supplier is NOT BT. Openreach are installing a 2 village wide FTTP scheme, for which I have signed up. The Parish Council have given the date. And, of course we lose our POTS service in 4 years time (I think that's national),

Reply to
charles

Ah, I see. Well, once you're on FTTP, POTs (in its form of analogue audio over copper into your house)  will go for you at that point too. As I understand it those of us still on FTTC by the end of 2025 will lose the POTs connection, but our internet will continue over the copper wire into our homes. What will go at the end of 2025 are the copper trunks between the exchange and the FTTC cabinets (nationally), so the phone service will be the same VoIP style service you'll be getting from that point.

Reply to
Mark Carver

that's what I have. My router has a POTS port connected to SIPGATE, and I have in addition a POTS line, so my 2 into 8 PABX can use either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Broadly yes...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It didnt for me.

Yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I too have optical fibre to the home.

When BT installed the fibre they gave me a modem with two POTS ports; one of those was connected to a 'phone socket in a convenient place. The phone stayed on the old copper.

Recently they've moved me over to digital 'phone.

By giving me a cordless IP 'phone, and an adapter that will take an old type 'phone.

Both of these talk WiFi to the (BT supplied) router, and neither the POTS port on the modem nor the copper master socket work any more.

It bugs me that this means I have no 'phone in a power cut, but WTH. If it's a real emergency mobile might work for a while.

The nice thing is that I now have a "land line" in my garden office, and I can use it to call the house. Or vice versa. Even though they are supposed to be the same number!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris