Where does paint all go?

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

I'm not against it as such but believe the level of effort involved could be better directed. Is there nothing that that number of man,women,child hours could be applied to which would save more of the planet?

Walkers should promote whoever is responsible! Better yet, lets us make them prime minister:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You mean like Stork Baking Liquid or Flora Cuisine? I don't think either is available now. Do you know a substitute currently available in the UK? (Good for making fairy cakes as they're easy to mix by hand.)

Reply to
Max Demian
<snip>

Ok. ...

What 'hours' Tim?

Why would it take any longer putting empty crisp packets into a collection bin, rather than the general dustbin? It doesn't take me any longer dropping a dead battery in the box at Sainsbury's (when I'm going past) than it does to drop it in my own bin at home?

Mightn't it give the kids a reason to actually put the packets in a bin rather than just poking them in your hedge on the way home?

Modern printers work pretty quickly and could print a label in a matter of seconds ... and they can put the packets in one of the boxes they get stuff delivered in.

And no one is suggesting anyone stop doing any other 'planet saving' measures and this one actually earns the school rewards for their efforts, just in the same way putting a deposit on a bottle of lemonade or requiring a pound to release a shopping trolley did towards getting trolleys back where they are needed.

This isn't *instead* of anything else, it's *as well* as everything else and would really take no time at all so I really can't see the issue ... and unlike many other things people could spend time on, is a win all round. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Thanks for that Rob, I was wondering if there was such info available the other night (but forgot to look for it). ;-)

Also ... "The research found meat and other animal products were responsible for most food-related greenhouse gas emissions, despite providing only a fifth of the calories consumed."

The Mrs and I are currently experimenting with Veganism [1] and the Mrs is especially fine with that as I do most of the cooking and she has no issue with anything I produce, if it's 'meat / fish substitute' or otherwise. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] We are using up all our non Vegan food as / when and looking for vegan equivalents when out shopping. Apparently Holland & Barret (we have one locally) stock an egg substitute that can be used to make scrambled egg. A fairly regular lunch was two poached eggs on toast but yesterday I did us mixed beans, mushrooms and tomatoes. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

But we all pay for our waste to be collected, as that is the most efficicent system for most.

That is the responsibility of the rubbish collection service.

It does depend on what you mean buy local or/and convenient.

And that goes for all rubbish of any sort. I've got a dozen or so old cans of paint. It;s about a 2 mile walk to the recycle centre. I've asked a local cab company they said No, haven't considered uber or anyone like that. So they'll stay down the back stairs and in the loft.

Is it better to use a car to transport such things a mile or two or place them in the bin for landfill with so much other stuff.

By polluting the air with their cars. Of course I don't have a car and use the bus, which is either fuel cell or electric hybrid.

And I'm betting those with kids husing non-reusable nappies pollute more than I do or my cat.

Those traveling to work alone are causing more pollution than my few packets of crisps, which I virtually given up on anyway.

Most are part of each.

By the user, obviously.

Doesn't that depend on what you did to keep it going, most old machines of any sort are NOT energy effient. I replaced my webcam 'server' a G4 mac tower running at about 120W for 24/7 with a new macmin which ran at about 5-10W max and that included buring a DVD. So was I right or wrong, well I estimated that afterc 2.5 years my mac mini would recoup the money I spent on it in saved electricity.

That doesn't make it right. What about old car belching out fumes for the for 10+ years keep them or replace with a electric car ?

Why do you think there are scrapaged schemes ?

Not all food in the same, I buy pouches they are less wasteful than tins food wise.

That is the way to go I assume that they'll wrap them in something hopefully recyclable card. But tehn again why do people expect muli-packs ? Get rid of the idea, for get 2-4-1 etc.

It's a nice idea but how long will these net bags last and are the recyclable. I used to buy things in such bags which weren't recclable and had to go in the landfill bin including the plastic tabs.

So don;t recyclle them.

So as with crips packets is it worth the car pulltion created to take them to be recycled + the energy for recycling ?

cleaning, bleaching, transporting.

I did hear that some northerners were using crip packets as condoms.

Not always.

even if

That is also a point that needs considering.

Well we could stop all motor racing sports. We could perhaps ban cars from city centre for a star and the the outskirts.

We could refuse to employ people that lived further away than they could walk or get public transport or cycle to/from. Or find the best car which I've heard costs about £60k and if you can't afford it tough luck, yuor not allowed to own a car. Stop all holiday travel by plane at least.

Have curfews saing electric light.

But just how far do you go with this ?

Yes we could ban the printing of books to stop paper waste.

yes that is confusing though. I've just gone over from red label T-bags to clipper as red label has plastic cost is more than double.

There's a confusing code on most things which could be simplier, even the wheelie bins come in differnt colours depending on the borough, if they can't standerdise on those what hope is there ?

Actually I'd say it's higher from what I've seen. But do you really need a dog ?, no dog would mean less food and packaging food producion etc.

Would you be prepared not to have a dog for the betterment of mankind ?

Why don;t they use the same plastic for top and bottem ?

Will they remove the greased up bits from pizza boxes.

My council have just broken the lid of my recycle bin and it blows around in the wind and lets the rain in, not sure when they'll replace it. But to I have to tell them or can the bin men see the bin is broken ? What do I do with the stuff that is sometimes recylcable depending on the councils equipment and how do I know, it's not a binary thing you know.

Most of my studetns are very wasteful, thowing components away or just leaving them laying about, I've tried to get the department to do something about it but they won't.

Last time we bought 30 scopes they came with two power leads 1 of UK 1 for USA I had to bin the USA ones in the non-recycle bin.

Can you imagine the uproar from religous people. But I do think RE could be useful as a subject explaining religions from around the world and why they exist and how stupid they are ;-D

Reply to
whisky-dave

How efficient do you think it is to send our Tetra Paks to india, even by sea.

I guess we could swap them for doctors wieght for wieght :)

whisky-dave

Most of us are part of some solutions & some problems. But these days we're also part of a host of imaginary problems.

Reply to
tabbypurr

You would not know fun if it sat on your face.

Reply to
ARW
<snip>

Here Adam, you like quizzes, what fun film was this line from ...

"After a brief adjustment period, and a bunch of alcohol, it's a face... I'd be happy to sit on."

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m is not an imaginary problem, or is he ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave