Shower caddy follow up

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd say non magnetic means not chrome, rather borderline stainless. It's not going to be a chrome plated cuprous alloy.

Reply to
newshound

Actually, some of the Victorian Plumbing ones do claim to be chrome plated brass.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some Kind of alloy maybe? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Having acquired a Chinese stainless steel gate fitting, I learnt from this very group that some stainless steel is prone to surface rust when damp, despite its name.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Yes, standard in the old days. This chinese cheapie won't be, though.

Reply to
newshound

Cheap cutlery is often marginal in chrome content, you can get rust spots that can just about be cleaned off with scotchbrite or similar.

Reply to
newshound

I think the usual response is that it doesn't claim to be stain-free. ;-)

Don't leave a Brillo pad on a damp SS sink.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Cutlery tends to be 18% chromium and is magnetic (para- only?); 18 10 isn't magnetic and shouldn't rust. I don't know what A2 st. st. is, but it withstands 10 years+ of salt.

Rolls Royce wheel trim was 22% chromium and hard chrome plated and polished

- that didn't rust in 72 hr. salt spray but the 18% did.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes. We have some Japanese stainless steel cutlery which can pick up spots of rust in the dishwasher. Interestingly, while I was testing the caddy, I discovered that the knife blades are magnetic but nothing else.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A bit of a simplification. 18Cr 8Ni is austenitic, and non magnetic. Ferritic stainless steels are 13 to 18% Cr and are magnetic.

I'd bet that the (non-magnetic) caddy is austenitic stainless. It might suffer rust spotting or staining in some circumstances (like the steel wool case mentioned elsewhere)

; 18 10 isn't

ICBA to look it up properly. "A2" tends to be the base designation for stainless steel screws and fasteners, I think it is normally austenitic.

"A4" is sometimes called marine grade stainless, that will definitely withstand salt, it has a higher content of alloying elements and will definitely be austenitic.

That's what I would call a Rolls Royce solution.

Reply to
newshound

Oh well! If we are all still here in 3 or so years I'll report back:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb