Where does paint all go?

Yeah and you know what all that rubbish about the ice caps melting... Well it's really aliens stealing the ice and taking it back to their own galaxy.

Reply to
whisky-dave

afaik they aren't recyclable. They're plastic & ali & grease, plus who knows what in the odd one.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Probably over 99% of households buy tapwater

spring, mineral or soft drinks.

cats normally prefer cold water, but they often don't like the chlorination in tapwater.

IMHO the law is a changeable part of the problem.

If you mean wallwarts I don't think they're recyclable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

this is all why rubbish dumping at tips was made free, and why councils put out lots of bins for people to use freely in towns. It's as if they've forgotten the lessons learnt decades ago. The current crop of laws were enacted to try to improve nuisance littering, but they've clearly made it much worse. And it's hardly surprising.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
<snip good stuff>

That's a good idea / point.

I wonder if they would do an experiment and *not* pick up any rubbish for a week and see what happens?

There are people who will call / write in and complain to the Council if just one litter pick round is missed so I'm guessing they would go spare with a weeks worth?

And if it wasn't actually up to everyone's knees, would the litterers simply use it as an excuse to litter more freely?

I would be up for more signs reminding people that it was *their* park (simply being maintained by the Council on behalf of the people of the borough) and so they might respect their space by not littering etc but again, that might make some people worse (If it's mine I can litter it if I want).

Providing more bins is a good solution to those who might use them (and keep an eye on their kids dropping litter) or they will be abused (to an even greater degree) by people clearing their cars out into the park bins.

Many don't see / read the (many) closing time signs (meaning they get locked in and getting the Park Guards out to let them out) so I'm guessing they wouldn't see the litter bins / signs either. ;-(

They even stand by the signs suggesting people didn't feed the wildfowl bread (and why), emptying a whole loaf into the pond.

I thin they may need to have some sort of pass where you have to read, agree to and sign a declaration agreeing to the terms of the park before they are allowed entry, then they couldn't say they 'didn't realise' etc.

Many seem to work on the basis it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

For sure. It'll just keep getting dirtier for a while. But then the outcry will be such that a percentage of people will be ready to pounce/snitch on litterers. Then organise a volunteer cleanup crew.

The problem is largely people that have no respect for anything or anyone. They don't care.

so what. Make it difficult for them to find the guards & they'll learn not to do that next time. Give the guards jacket mounted cameras & fine or ban people (a worm of cans in itself).

maybe they don't agree.

they agree to clearly displayed terms anyway. Let them agree to being fined.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Can they recycle them? Haven't they just been shamed providing one use packaging and as a PR exercise they are now accepting the packaging back for disposal to landfill or incineration?

Reply to
alan_m

It's no use cutting back on plastics if you create another problem by using alternative consumables (such as "sparklet" capsules) that require much more resources for recycling and probably create more climate altering gasses during manufacture.

Its very much like people that give up dairy products for health or climate crisis reasons but then start using plant based dairy substitute products sourced from ingredients transported from the other side of the planet and are heavily modified in industrialised processes that use salt, sugar and other "healthy" ingredients to make them palatable.

Reply to
alan_m

One of the project fear Brexit stories was that after we left the EU that we would be buried under a mountain of plastic waste that couldn't be recycled because without a trade deal we would no longer be able to export it to Scandinavia where it's currently been used to generate power in a purpose build incinerator.

Reply to
alan_m

Then that depends on the overall footprint of each.

eg, It could well be that the 'fake milk' requires a faction of the space to produce (compared with cows milk), a fraction of the water and actually produces far less of the worst greenhouse gasses (methane V CO2), then we may all still be better off overall (and no cow hormones in fake milk for example).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Apparently, yes.

Apparently no.

What is it with you fanatic brexiteers and your cognitive bias issues?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Cite?

Chances are this is just more fanatic Brexiteer made up BS and FUD.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I wish Lush would stop putting bits of sparkly plastic in their bath bombs. They get everywhere when my missus uses them. She doesn't actually buy them, but some people think they make a nice present.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre
<snip>

You would like to think but I believe people are often more wary to trying to get others to 'do the right thing' now because of their OTT reaction.

That's already done there most days (in the summer).

Agreed. ;-(

Oh they do. They often close all the main gates at the closing time, do a(nother) sweep of the park and then get back to the main entrance and have to deal with a percentage of people shouting and screaming that they were 'locked in' and suggesting they were there well before the closing time. If they don't lock the gates they often find even more people have come in when they get back! The Council employees usually just point to the CCTV camera and suggest they contact the Council if they have any issues. That said, 'most people' are apologetic. [1]

I believe they already wear them.

Some parks have electrically operated gates so who would the tardy / inconsiderate have to moan at then?

And I wonder if they would also expect their holiday plane / train to wait for them ... or be as slow to get out if you told them there was a bomb / sniper / leopard in the park? ;-)

I believe fining either is an option or can be applied in repeat cases but it is (as you say), a can of worms. It's a similar case when collecting stray dogs, finding them unchipped and giving them back to the owners. They do insist that they are chipped but I think there are restrictions on (say) the council insisting or having the dog chipped themselves (without the owners consent). And how many dog owners have been fined the 500 pounds for not having their dogs chipped (and / or keeping that data up to date). ;-(

Whilst they might not, they would be wrong.

Good point. I'm assuming ignorance of the park byelaws (that are clearly posted at each entrance) would be no defence? eg, You accept them by just entering the park?

Cheers, T i m

[1] The funniest ones are:

"It took me longer than I though because of my elderly parent / dog."

So, they became 'old' during the time they spent in the park, they weren't already old (and slow) when you brought them in here?

"It took me longer because of the kids:" (some bizarre reason that never include anything that justifies anything).

The frustrating thing is even when they are 'jollied up' by the wardens, politely reminding / informing them the gates will be locked

*at* Xpm, some people still make no effort to get a wriggle on.
Reply to
T i m

How can they claim no added sugars when one of their products is labelled unsweetened?

Factor in the destruction of the soil structure by constantly growing crops. Leaving the ground fallow and growing grass for a couple of years and then using grazing animals for maintenance during this time may be beneficial for the country.

It may be impractical to plant crops when the whole of the countryside is full of wind and solar farms.

Reply to
alan_m

But according to one green campaigner on TV a few months back you are meant to wash them out using hot water and detergent! More CO2 to recycle than to manufacture and distribute in the first place.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't know about that, but Malaysia has recently kindly returned 42 shipping containers of illegal waste to the UK to sort out for itself.

One wonders how many "recycling" facilities were hoping to sneak their waste out this way and will now have to find a legal alternative.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Didn't one manufacturer (Pepsi/Coke?) try marketing Peckham spring water.

Just let it stand for a while or put a jug of tap water in the fridge for 12 hours. The chlorine easily boils off.

Alternatively get a jug with a activated carbon filter.

Reply to
alan_m

Because they use apple juice in the sweetened ones instead of solid suger. You may feel this is sophistry.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No that was derek trotter OFAH.

They did try to sell london water as spring water.

I know and in these so called blind test of tap water V mineral they never take the tap water straight from the tap.

Tap water is fine is chilled left to stand and filtered in one of those jug thing. I can see the differnce when I make tea, so it must taste differnt too.

Reply to
whisky-dave