Where does paint all go?

You aren't very bright are you?

"* contains naturally occurring sugars"

Do you think they *add* lactose to cows milk?

(And they let these people vote ... <rolls eyes>). ;-(

Of course.

But it may not, if grazing animals (even if also for milk or meat production) takes up say 20x the land in the first place and produce loads more methane (than say a combine harvester produces CO2).

Makes no difference.

Whilst they are planting crops under solar farms (agrivoltaics), solar farms may be better positioned on land that may not be idea for growing crops in the first place (inaccessible by big machines, rocky, dry or contaminated).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nope, the recyclers do that as part of the recycling process ... and it may be one form of pollution / energy use is 'better' than another.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So why the label unsweetened on one carton and not the other two? Naturally occurring sugar added to two products and not the other?

You do seem to be lacking some knowledge about how food labelling works. Call sugar something else and add a label saying no added sugar.

Reply to
alan_m

more importantly an entirely insane waste of people's time.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oh, you really are thick, or just trolling?

It's not *added* is it you nutjob, it's there already! (FFS!).

Oh dear oh dear. Back to your cognitive bias problem again? ;-(

"unsweetened: with no sugar or other sweet substances added:"

How difficult life must be (or easy as they are always right irrespective of how much the facts contradict them) for the left brainers ... ;-(

That means no ADDITIONAL sugars have been added (in any form).

Sheesh ... and they let these people vote ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Assuming it is as he said, and of course it isn't.

It seems to be disconnection between things that get's people confused.

Like, if you buy a bag of crisps you are (or should be) taking responsibility for it, including how you dispose of it. If there is a facility that disposes of it in a less environmentally damaging way, then you should make reasonable efforts to do that.

You chose to buy / take / eat it, you then have to dispose of it properly.

Now, if you can't engineer it to say drop a wodge of crisp packets into a local drop off point, as part of your normal journey then maybe you shouldn't buy them in the first place.

The various governments are now making manufacturers factor the efficient disposal / recycling into their products and some are obliged to accept products back when we have finished with them (a feature we have already paid for of course).

See, for too long (since we were all generally well off) we have been buying stuff with no regard what will happen to it when we are finished with it and many have been happy to just 'throw stuff away' when often there isn't such a place. So that means stuff has to be stored (tyres / fridges), burned or buried in a hole in the ground, all of which have come back to haunt us.

What would be better is to not buy the thing in the first place, repair it if it goes wrong, re-purpose it into something else / useful or recycle it in it's core components (so it can be recycled more efficiently). And we can consider how recyclable a single use container might be when we buy something.

Like, you can buy dog food dried in bulk, wet in tins or wet in plastic pouches. From a quantity and recyclability POV, the plastic pouches are worse than the tins and large paper sacks.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

sure

reasonable is the key word there. A crisp packet is of such low value that spending time washing them is entirely unreasonable.

Burying them in landfill is not damaging, dropping them on the beach is.

complete nonsequitur. You're virtue-fying something of near zero value. If everyone took crisp packets to a dedicated recycler the world would be worse off, not better. Time energy & money would have been misspent achieving a purely trivial benefit.

very little needs to be stored, nuclear waste is the main example. But even what little of that I produce doesn't need storing. Burned & buried is not haunting us.

In many cases sure. Also in many cases not. Society is grossly wasteful, but many things really are not worth repairing, repurposing etc.

It's not inherently wrong to bury waste. In many cases it's currently our best option.

Foiled plastic pouches use far less material per 4 pouches than 1 metal tin. And there are other differences that far outweigh that issue.

I'm all for better handling of the waste stream, I think what we do now is lousy, but so many people prioritise trivial waste matters far above their real worth, and that is a pointless cost, not a virtue.

It is so easy to increase recycling rate that with all the talk about it I have to wonder exactly why it's not being done. Does someone have zero brains, or does no-one even care?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Too many rules about what can and what cannot be recycled. My local council has one colour sack for general rubbish and a different coloured sack for all mixed recycling. Cardboard can be left at the side of the sacks. Friends living in a different area are required to separate different recycled products into different containers and cannot leave cardboard out that still has packing tape, plastics cannot be put into a plastic bag and have to remain individually loose in a box etc.

I personally shred most junk mail and documents and compost it.Most of my cardboard waste also goes to the compost heap although I've noticed recently that after the campaign to use few plastic bags food manufactures are starting to use plastic coated cardboard which is a complete PITA to compost as the plastic film doesn't rot and has to be fished out of the final compost product.

Reply to
alan_m

Soya (or other grain such as oats) contains vey ltiile free sugar, but apple joice is added to the not-unsweetened one. Which does contain various sweet-tasting sugers.

Why a purely mechanical extract of suigar cane is not "natural" is a bit of a mystery to me - especially as olive oil is obtained by a rather similar process, and is, apparently, natural. AFAiCS the only thing that is not "natural" is witchcraft.

Reply to
Roger Hayter
<snip>

*A* crisp packet maybe, but it doesn't take long to combine it with many others.

Assuming they make it to landfill, as you say, and don't end up everywhere else.

Only to you.

It's nothing to do with any 'value'.

BS.

'Time' maintaining the planet?

When passing?

Trivial to you I'm guessing. It's not trivial to me, my family or any of the thousands (millions?) of people who are 'bothering.

If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem.

I didn't say it needs to be stored, I said it is being stored

*because* there isn't yet a sufficient need or efficient system for dealing with them in the quantities they are getting.

Of course they are. Burning increases pollution and global warming gasses (even if it does recoup some of the energy) and burying requires space and resources and can have negative side effects (chemical leaching into groundwater and explosive gas buildup), not to mention the locking away of resources that may one day be more valuable than the houses they have built on them.

ATM.

'Worth' again and by whose standards?

I took an otherwise written-off washing machine that wasn't economically repairable (by conventional means) and repaired it and it lasted another 8 years.

You may throw away something that someone else would repair, keep and use.

That can very much depend on the waste.

Ah, and that is another topic. ;-)

It takes 'people' to push for change and we hear today that Tesco are no longer using / selling plastic wrapped multipacks. Once the big outlets like Tesco stop using such, the manufacturers will stop doing it and so stop offering it to the other supermarkets.

Sainsbury's sell reusable net bags for you to put / weigh your own loose produce in. Once people get use to that I dare say they will stop supplying any fruit / veg in plastic bags, in the way they have by charging for carrier bags.

Maybe, but if it takes 6 x the energy to recycle the foil pouches (and we should till be build a catapult big enough to launch such waste into the sun <g>) then the tin wins.

Such as?

I'm sure they will / do, but something is better than nothing, even if it's not the best thing, as long as it's done correctly.

Because of the same thing that fuels most of the issues we suffer as a society, greed, ignorance and selfishness.

I'm sure a bit of both, but many people do care, even if they don't have the brains or skills to find out what's the best thing for themselves.

Our Council gives out very clear leaflets (though every door) describing in simple terms what things are wanted in the recycling bins, what things aren't and how to process them.

I would say at least 50% of the bins we pass when walking the dog in some way fall foul of the 'rules' and so either don't get collected or contaminate / de-value the waste stream.

As you ask, are these people actually thick? Are we asking too much of them with the instruction, 'Take the top off the milk bottle before putting it in the recycling box', or 'flatten all cardboard boxes' ... because these people simply can't understand *why* they have been requested so? Or is it they CBA to take the responsibility for their own waste in a way that allows the council to keep their rates down?

Maybe schools should dump religious education and replace them with classes on *Why* we all need to be a good citizens?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It costs far more to recycle than to use new plastic. Since they are in business to make money they use new plastic. No-one sees, so there's no virtue-signalling possibilities.

I don't like ad hominem attacks, but since you started it could I mention that seem to be very naïve about certain matters. Does your productivity directly affect your income?

They know it won't make any difference to the planet. They aren't naïve.

I won't buy Walkers on principle because of the greedy hypocritical leftist person that advertises them.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yep.

But its hard to claim that whats done to produce reasonably spreadable margarine is particularly natural.

Reply to
Ray

You could say that about butter if you were so inclined.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Take cream, shake, add salt. Pretty sure that?s a long way off margarine production.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hell of a stretch with traditional churning.

Not even as bad as whats done with sugar cane to produce white sugar.

Reply to
Ray

Leave out the salt.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not the point though eh.

Selling crisps ...

They could but chances are they don't.

Ah, so it's a conspiracy?

None required. How many 'people on the street' know Walkers are doing this do you think? Therefore, how much 'virtue signaling' do you think they are doing?

Oh, so suggesting someone 'sounds like a right nutter' isn't an ad hominem attack by your standards? Playing the victim? (pathetic).

I'm sure you will (but in English please).

WTF has that got to do with anything? Did you realise this was a discussion group Bill?

Aww bless.

So the 8000 collection points across the country are all just empty are they?

Ah, now we are getting to the truth. Don't worry Bill, no one is going to force you to buy any brand of crisp not expect you to recycle the bags of the same.

Try not to shoot yourself in the foot while again whilst you are trying to shoot the messengers.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So far the total number of retuned crisp packets are equivalent to around 1 days worth of UK production of crisps/packets.

Its very hard to find any information about how the packets are actually recycled. Lots of PR about setting up collection points, lots of PR about Walkers accepting the packets (minimum 8Kg) but follow their links to what happens to the returned packets gets to general information about recycling waste that already gets curb side collection.

Reply to
alan_m

No thanks, its much more natural than breeding cows to produce lots of milk when they arent calving and drinking what humans wouldn?t naturally be consuming after about the age of 12 months or so, let alone making butter from it.

Reply to
Ray

So far.

You could always contact Terracycle for more information?

"Crisp multipack outer packaging is accepted. Please do not fold the crisp packets into triangles.

Once collected, the crisp packets are separated by plastic type, cleaned, and extruded into plastic pellets to make new recycled products."

Cheers, T i m

p.s. It seems they are doing a lot more than just crisp packets (and Tetra Paks):

This video gives a bit of an insight how Tetra Paks are preprocessed and the things they are turned into (in India at least from 10 years ago):

T i m