Where does paint all go?

Guessing again Adam?

So, say there are ~1000 kids in a secondary school and they produce

500 crisp packets a day (plus what they might each bring in from home / elsewhere), I'm sure they would soon have the minimum quantity of 5kg.

"5 kilograms = 1000 TerraCycle® points" "8 kilograms = 1,600 TerraCycle® points"

"1 TerraCycle® point is worth 1 penny."

So 8kg would yield them 1600 pennies or £16.

You can get a box of ~96 2B pencils off Amazon for £15.98 (free next day delivery with Prime).

And irrespective of what they actually get, it's pretty well all win.

The kids win when they eat the crisps (that they were going to do anyway, unhealthy or otherwise), we all benefit if the packets don't get burnt, go into landfill or blow around the countryside, Walkers win some PR and recoup some of the recycling costs when they sell the products they make from said recycled plastics and the schools / charities win with they get a bit of cashback.

What's to dislike?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Aww, that's nice Adam. ;-)

Oh how we laughed ... (don't give up yer day job).

But thanks for playing! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You.

Reply to
ARW

It probably cost more (salary + materials) for a teacher to supervise, package up 5kg of crisp wrappers, print out a postage label and contact the carrier than the school gets back from Walkers.

approx 2200 empty packets = 5kg minimum weight package to send to Walkers for rewards = £10

Reply to
alan_m

No I am not. Churning and salt is nothing even remotely like the hydrogenation of liquid fats from plants to make a spreadable margarine. In spades when comparing olive oil with margarine.

Reply to
Ray

Not past the age of about 12 months or so.

Reply to
Ray

As natural as eating a mixed diet of plants and animals. It's what we do, and have done for thousands of years, and as a consequence our digestion can do it. "Lactase persistence" (as it is called) evolved in select populations about 8,000-10,000 years ago.

You'll be saying that cooking food isn't 'natural' next.

Reply to
Max Demian
<snip>

Strange?

I can walk fine Adam (broad shoulders and thanks for asking) and I'm glad to hear I'm living rent free in your head. ;-)

We having fun yet?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

How come? After we wean we (humans) go onto solids (typically plants and animals) but we don't generally go back to our mothers milk?

It's what some do yes. Many cultures consider it strange.

True, but not with all sorts of chemicals in the milk, or with it pasteurised, homogenised and 'skimmed'?

'Some peoples' digestion can do it.

Because that was about the time some people(s) started drinking milk

*after* weaning.

"The majority of people around the world remain lactase nonpersistent,[1] and consequently are affected by varying degrees of lactose intolerance as adults."

Why will I?

The point is, we (humans (and most other mammals)) stop drinking our mothers milk when we wean and go onto solids. If we were to continue drinking milk it makes more sense to do so from our own species (at least)!

We learned to cook some foods (~2 *Million* years ago) because we could then eat and / or extract more calories from easier it and so doing so was far from unnatural (it was part of our evolution).

I'm not aware of many people who are allergic to cooked food but many are allergic to milk (after weaning). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't think they hydrogenate oil to make margarine any more. It has become medically unfashionable. They instead use higher melting point fats in the first place, chiefly the ecologically disastrous (allegedly) palm oil.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

There is no other way to make oils into a spreadable margarine.

Not possible when most of what comes from plants are oils.

Palm oil is used in some cooking but isnt what margarine is.

Ray

If you cost such things that way or are you just scraping the bottom of the barrel now? How much 'supervision' do you think such a thing would take, if it's supervised at all. And why a teacher, why not a student, parent or other volunteer? Have you never been to a school fundraising thing and seen how much work they often do just to raise a tenner?

Yup and with a secondary school with ~1000 students, and people using it as a drop off point, how long before it's way more than 5kg?

Why are you so against this?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Read your own reference:

" For this reason, partially hardened fats are used less and less in the margarine industry. Some tropical oils, such as palm oil and coconut oil, are naturally semi-solid and do not require hydrogenation."

Reply to
Roger Hayter

says: Three types of margarine are common: Bottled liquid margarine to cook or top dishes. Soft vegetable fat spreads, high in mono- or polyunsaturated fats, which are made from safflower, sunflower, soybean, cottonseed, rapeseed, or olive oil. Hard, generally uncolored margarine for cooking or baking. (Shortening)

Never heard or seen of the 1st. The 3rd I've not seen in decades.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But that isnt what is used in most current spreadable margarines.

And trivial to see that from the nutrient list, palm oil is high in saturated fat and few spreadable margarines are high in saturated fat now.

Reply to
Ray

Trex. In a supermarket near you.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

True, and it's the land (put into) use that really hits with dairy:

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
RJH

So where do you go for a piss?

Reply to
ARW

Maybe they?re right? Tap water might not be as safe as we?ve long supposed.

Tim+

Reply to
Tim+

I think the point is that 'our' tap water is often better than in many other countries (where drinking bottled water *is* advised for health reasons) and often safer than drinking water from other sources (like a stream etc). However, this does raise some questions that it says in your link do require further study.

"An interesting finding was that drinking chlorinated water was less risky than bathing or swimming in it."

I wonder if swimming in a chlorinated swimming pool is safer than swimming in the sea?

Are you less vulnerable by taking a bath / shower of you have a stored water system (where the chlorine can evaporate) over an instant (electric / combi) one?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m